Logo

Mercruiser Bluewater 7.4L Inboard - Cold Start Issue

mkulikow

OK,

I am having trouble adjusting the choke on my twin inboards, the port engine is a dream, choke is open about 1/8" when cold, but the starboard is shut all the way. They run prefect when warm but I have tried adjusting the choke housing and it is still not opening the choke plate. There is no pull off on the weber carb so its just the closed position and the opening speed that can be adjusted.

Any thoughts on why the choke is not holding the plate open slightly?

Good carb:
172706656-197411575265530-6069500370982417137-n.jpg

Bad carb:
172103139-469517864497823-6650610238603676605-n.jpg

Remove the choke cover where the wires connect. Make sure the link rod is engaging with the bimetal coil.

I would think its either the link rod is not in the correct location to the bimetal coil or the bimetal coil is bad/broken

I did notice it was very hard to turn, most likely hadn't moved since 1996 ;)

It only moved maybe 1/8" ccw or cw....

100% chance one of these little screws is bilge bound while working face down...

Interestingly enough the choke opens fine, after a few minutes it purrs like a kitten. But those first few minutes are rough/black smoke/etc.

Thanks everyone for the help! The paint was original and the damn thing did NOT want to rotate. Managed to get it spun about 20 degrees and the choke plate is ~1/8" open and the engine fired up and ran perfect! No black soot, no stutter, let it warm up at like 1/8th throttle and could see the plate continue to open all the way...

Thanks everyone for the help! The paint was original and the damn thing did NOT want to rotate. Managed to get it spun about 20 degrees and the choke plate is ~1/8" open and the engine fired up and ran perfect! No black soot, no stutter, let it warm up at like 1/8th throttle and could see the plate continue to open all the way...
Great end to this as it is always the simple $hit... that paint is good for corrosion resistance but can hangup linkages etc

Back