Logo

1984 Johnson 9.9

Ajhbike

This motor has been in the family since new and was used for 25 years. Has been garaged for 10 years, was running when retired and I want to break it out of mothballs. The pull cord has a foot of slack so I will try to retighten that. Besides new plugs and some carb cleaner, what are the basics to check out please? Thank you

Do a compression test for reference.-----Change gear oil.------Install a new water pump impeller ( a MUST do ) , since the motor does not have an alarm or shut down feature.----After test run make sure motor actually runs warm as thermostats like to stick open.----If it was stored with fuel in the carburetor , that will now need a cleaning.---Couple of shots of grease on all the fittings and a smear of grease on linkages.

Do a compression test for reference.-----Change gear oil.------Install a new water pump impeller ( a MUST do ) , since the motor does not have an alarm or shut down feature.----After test run make sure motor actually runs warm as thermostats like to stick open.----If it was stored with fuel in the carburetor , that will now need a cleaning.---Couple of shots of grease on all the fittings and a smear of grease on linkages.

^^^^^^^^^ These things and maybe check around on the wires. Look for anything cracked or damaged by critters. You could I guess run some seafoam or de-carb in the gas to clean any sticky sluggish rings, depending on the compression results.

Sparkplug gap is not as important as some would think.----Anywhere from .030" to .035 " is good.----When I take plugs out and they have worn to .060" the motor was still running OK with them.----Owner did not notice anything wrong with plug gap at .060"

Thank you. I just rewound the recoil spring assembly...where does the little spring on the red ratchet catch attach to? I cannot seem to see the attachment point

There is a picture when I get home....but otherwise can't help you for about an hour. One thing I will remind you, however, is that many people go to the trouble of cleaning the carburetor the fuel pump and the fuel tank but they do not flush out the fuel hose. So be sure, if you are using the hose that has had gas in it all these years, you flush it out by blowing fresh mix through it with your air compressor or at least pumping gas through until it runs clear....pump by propping open the steel ball with a toothpick or something similar, then pump a pint of mix through into a glass jar so you can examine for debris. These new gray laminated hoses are pretty worthless so you may be better off to clean the original hose, then to go buy a new one. If the squeeze bulb is still good and the couplings are okay, then another option is go to your auto parts store and buy about 6 ft, or whatever you might need, of 5/16 inch rubber, reinforced gas line.

Last edited:
If you do end up replacing your tank to motor fuel hose I have been using this style hole clamp over the standard worm drive hose clamp. They are made for transmission line or fuel injection hose. Seem to clamp even pressure and don't strip out by looking at them the wrong way. Any parts store should have them.20210412_120014.jpg

One other thing to think about. If you do alot of boating by yourself, move the fuel tank to the front to shift weight. I bought a longer supply hose for that reason. Plus I reversed the squeeze bulb so it was back by the motor. Saves jumping up front, or digging through cargo if you have it loaded down.

Last edited:
Sorry.....didn't have time to run up to shop to snap a picture. Back in town again. Wife and son allergy shots. I have a 9.9 right up in front too. I'll see what I can find in my photo album here on the phone.

I appreciate the effort...I am in no rush. Whatever they are called, the red lever that catches on the recoil teeth seems to interfere and when I looked closer I saw the spring that is very fine with a hook behind the recoil. I cannot see where it attaches...I must have dislodged it

Attachments

• Recoil resized.jpg
    Recoil resized.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 44
I think I found it and a pic. It is the red throttle interlock dog and it looks like the spring attaches to that vertical bracket.e red throttle interlock dog

Attachments

• post 70 starter interlock resized.jpg
    post 70 starter interlock resized.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 36
You got it. I didn't get home in time. I really don't like this safety system. It's hard on fingers when that little plastic "T" handle suddenly comes to a stop. Sometimes they barely allow enough throttle to start.....especially on a cold morning while duck hunting in late October in Northern MN.

On a side note, anyone ever hear of a 14ft Ouchita aluminum boat? Due to CT registration regulations I am trying to get the year built from SN 148981?????
Arkadelphia, AR

Last edited:
Plopped it in to a barrel of water and it started on the first pull. Thank you all for the advice! Idles nicely and a steady stream of cooling water.
It seems that the connection from the black tilt lever to the slotted flat stock so tilting it is a bear. I will have to fashion something I guess

Back