Logo

Volvo Penta 4.3 GLA distributor cap wiring?

antnida

Hi, I just got a used boat and doing some maintenance. I replaced the spark plug, working on rotor, cap and wire replacement. The number labeled on the existing wire does not match with the manual. Any advise?

20210330-094653.jpg
20210404-195948.jpg

Throw all that in the garbage. Redo your static timing by the manual's instructions. Install all new consumables (cap rotor points condenser and wires) all new belts. Change oil and filters. Fresh gas if possible, new fuel/water filter. Undo, clean and reattach all main electrical connections including grounds. Smear with grease. Check all hose clamps and replace any that show signs of rust. Double clamp below the waterline. Check engine mounts for rust, tightness, and be sure they are firmly bedded.
After that, if you're still having some troubles, get back to us.

Assuming it runs ok now, I'd suspect the 'labeling' applied to the existing wires was not done using the GM numbering scheme....I'd see if the wires are attached per the manual and if so replace them one at a time...

I didn't write down which wire go to which cylinder on the old wire, but it did pop once in a while leading me to suspect that possibly 2 cylinders was swapped. Found TDC on the compression stroke, lined up cylinder #1 with the rotor and numbered per the figure above and got it started up on the 1st try.Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldRephraseRephrase current sentenceEdit in Ginger×

Back