Logo

Johnson 8hp outboard fuel blockage issue

Noviceboater

I have a 8hp johnson outboard been tinkered with nearly all winter trying to figure it out. Strong even compression, starts easily when you spray premix right into the carb. Good spark, new plugs, new fuel pump and lines, rebuilt carb, primer works.. except that very small nipple on the left side of the carb between the fuel pump and carb is completely blocked.. is what is been narrowed down to. Is there any way to unclog this without taking it apart any further? Does anyone have any experience or tips with this?

The fuel inlet? Well you could take a small wire or a cutting torch tip cleaner and scrub it out. But.....then all that wonderful goodness goes inside negating all that you have done. I recommend removing and then clean that item out.
shopping.png
These are handy for cleaning ports and nozzles, as well as torches:cool:

The fuel inlet? Well you could take a small wire or a cutting torch tip cleaner and scrub it out. But.....then all that wonderful goodness goes inside negating all that you have done. I recommend removing and then clean that item out.
View attachment 26548
These are handy for cleaning ports and nozzles, as well as torches:cool:

Thanks for the reply. I was concerned all that gunk will get caught up inside, does it go straight through to the carb? If it does the carb is off rn and the gunk can be caught from the other end or is it a maze inside?

The fuel goes into the carb, takes a turn, then is allowed into the float bowl by the needle valve & float you saw when you rebuilt the carb. When you rebuild the carb do more than just squirt cleaner and air into it. You should pull off any covers or plugs. But, make sure you have all the needed parts first. Second, when you clean and jets/orifices, do be careful to just clean, do not enlarge them. Last tip, pull up and print out the exploded view of your carb. Sometimes there are hidden items that come with the kit that aren't obvious unless you look close. Perhaps also layout each item on the exploded view. So with that said, what is your exact year and model number? That really helps us all out when wrenching online!:cool:

Last edited:
The fuel goes into the carb, takes a turn, then is allowed into the float bowl by the needle valve & float you saw when you rebuilt the carb. When you rebuild the carb do more than just squirt cleaner and air into it. You should pull off any covers or plugs. But, make sure you have all the needed parts first. Second, when you clean and jets/orifices, do be careful to just clean, do not enlarge them. Last tip, pull up and print out the exploded view of your carb. Sometimes there are hidden items that come with the kit that aren't obvious unless you look close. Perhaps also layout each item on the exploded view. So with that said, what is your exact year and model number? That really helps us all out when wrenching online!:cool:

The inlet I'm referring to is on the front left side of the actual engine block and feeds fuel into the carb.. from what I can tell .. it's a 88' I believe the model number is j8rccs. The carb was rebuilt with a oem kit and cleaned
.. it runs if you keep spraying premixed fuel into the carb

The inlet I'm referring to is on the front left side of the actual engine block and feeds fuel into the carb.. from what I can tell .. it's a 88' I believe the model number is j8rccs. The carb was rebuilt with a oem kit and cleaned
.. it runs if you keep spraying premixed fuel into the carb

Yes, it will run for miles if you spray fuel in the carb. So unless I am missing something, fuel on your (most) outboards come from the tank to engine, then the fuel pump, finally carb. Anyone of those is plugged or obstructed you have a boat anchor.

ok so i was able to get some pictures.. its getting 88psi on both cylinders from what i see, the port i was referring to was able to be cleared out.. that is the primer going into the block then i assume into the carb. its getting spark and starts on ether or premix. here is some pictures for reference it wont let me upload to the forum. https://imgur.com/a/358uOwk

The primer pulls fuel from the carburetor bowl.----Then squirts it into the intake.---This fuel bypasses the metering circuits.----It may be hard to accept the fact that there is a blockage in the carburetor.----No fuel going in.----You installed the carburetor after cleaning.----Then when you operated the manual fuel pump on the the hose did you feel / hear fuel flowing through the motor fuel pump into the carburetor ??

Back