Logo

Quick help please for new mercury outboard break in

I just purchased a new pontoon with a 115 mercury, but the marina had lost the paper work to the motor. I am taking it out on Sunday and need some help on the break in procedure. Thanks in advance.

General information is give time for new parts to "wear out/in" a little....get used to each other. Additionally, rings today have tin plating (on some engines) that makes for a fast break-in. I usually figure a couple hour initial break in. Idle around for half an hour and then start advancing the throttle to a mid range RPM for say 5 minutes and then back to idle and back up and down a few more times, then increasing the RPMs on the "exercise" between back to idle. After an hour run it on to full throttle and do that for 5 minutes and back to mid range. After an hour of that, do what you want. Since you have a toon, you don't have to worry about "getting on plane" to reduce the stress on the engine for the initial run ups.

Others surely have their methodology, but this has worked for me breaking in half a dozen new boats over the years or so.

Back