Logo

Need help with Shift cable adjustment for engaging reverse

CrazyCharlie

1988 5.0Lx alpha .Shifts into fwd cleanly.Reverse rachets but does not engage.Cables are only a few years old with extremely low hours/usage.Years ago I successfully made the adjustment and some years after that I unsuccessfully attempted it.can someone walk me through it.From what I remember the lower of the 2 cables,pull cotter,slide out barrel,count how many turns(i dont remember which way) slide barrel back in and try for reverse.Anyone done same ?? Would love someone to walk me thru ,im sure I missed something.Thanks Charlie

Look at page 6 of the post below this one.
It has 6 pages of posts, I posted complete instructions on adjusting shift cables.

Hydrolicked in parking lot

yes that was an excellent video.I was able to tweak it to where i have both fwd and rev however neither are a crisp clean engage.Previously i have perfect fwd shift and racheting reverse without engagemant.top cable was adjusted into the highest position by the nut.When i slid it down a little I had neither fwd or rev so I slid it back up.Lower cable turned the barrel towards bracket a few turns and got both fwd and rev but neither a clean engagement.I will try a 1/2 turn more and see if anything improves.Cable is only a few years old with not much time on it at all.Dont know what else to tweak.Its so close...

Back