Logo

1962 Chris Craft 283 with paragon transmission noise

jgvine

I have a 1962 CC ski boat with a 283 v8. I have had it for 32 years. When last used it started fine but when slid into gear it sounded like a bucket of bolts out of the rear of the engine. No warning signs. The engine idles fine and runs up with no hesitation. As soon as I feather it into gear it has a hard metallic clanking sound. I have new wires and plugs as well as a new distributor cap and rotor. It is running smooth. I pulled the transmission and took it to Kalamazoo Marine. They went through it and found nothing to repair. The drive gear out of the rear of the engine seems firm and tight. Does anyone have an idea of what the noise is or what could be causing it? Help!

Hope the gear is still out...

the 'bucket of bolts' description is consistent with one or more springs failing in the damper plate...have you inspected it yet?

Hope the gear is still out...

the 'bucket of bolts' description is consistent with one or more springs failing in the damper plate...have you inspected it yet?

Thanks for your feedback! To my knowledge there is no damper plate. The tranny is a 25XE with a manual reverse gear. Any other thoughts?

Back