Logo

Best prop for going slow - trolling with a 2 stroke

ryans151

Hello,

I have a 1989 60hp e60tlcea and I was wondering what prop would be best for trolling. Is it possible to consistently go 1-3mph?

I bought what seemed to be the lowest pitch I could find 14 x 9P but it's also 3 blade and not sure if that was a good move.

Thanks,

What kind of boat is this on ??------A motor in good condition will troll with a 17" pitch prop.-----With a 9" pitch you risk motor damage at full throttle unless it was on a 30' barge

Check the maximum RPM of your motor running at full throttle on your boat !!-----Time to talk with your local friendly boat shop on this propeller pitch topic.-----Or find a website with detailed information on how to select a prop.-----Many motors are damaged when folks run the wrong prop.

Lower pitch means higher RPM and slower boat speed in most cases. It depends on the boat and load. But given the same boat and load....same motor, same prop diameter, same number of blades, and same prop material,.......if you adjust pitch to get proper max rpm, and start from there....you will be "golden". However, given nothing else changes.....the lower the pitch from that point, the higher the rpm, the slower the boat speed. You risk over revving the motor. You raise pitch, then you lower rpm....lug down motor....produce less horsepower....slow down the boat....distrupting acceleration. 2 strokes in particular, have a fairly narrow torque and horsepower peak. A classic example is the Kawasaki 750 triple H2. I know....I had one. If your not HANGING ON FOR DEAR LIFE, when it hits that peak, you could end up pretty badly damaged. Without moving the throttle, the horsepower spikes....easily lifting the front wheel off the ground at high speed. Result? Not enough front end rake? ENTER, gyro effect. Guy I sold the bike to.....didn't live to talk about it. Left ME to explain what happened....those bikes were killers....they "dared" you to take 'em for a "ride".Screenshot_20211122-150848~2_compress29.jpg

Last edited:
Get a British Seagull. It'll putter along at like 100 RPM all day.
Honestly tho, there's no prop that will do what you want. If you wanna troll slow you need a trolling motor.

Back