Logo

Carburetor fuel mixture screws caps?

It's not necessary to remove those caps to sync your carbs. Those screws are used to adjust the idle mixture. Once set, there's very little reason to change them.

The cap you are asking about is removed using heat to melt the epoxy holding it in place on the screw head. In the process of heating and removing the cap, it's VERY easy to break the needle!!!! If this needle is broken, you need a really large dose of patience to use a sharp pick to unscrew the remains of this screw.

Unless you have a pretty good reason to be messing with these, I would recommend you not even try. I've done a bunch of these, and my success rate, at best, is maybe 50-75% - and that is with the carb sitting on the bench, patience hat firmly in place, in no particular hurry. I use a large soldering iron to heat the screw head, and ever so carefully pop this cover off the adjusting screw. Again, I do not recommend anyone even try this.....

LOL I wanted to make sure they were all pulling equal vacuum, now they are! I do need to find some remote controls for cheap -any suggestions where I might find a deal?

I need controls all the time and find myself buying them constantly. If you can find one that's worth a darn under 200 it's a pretty good deal.

Beware though, of those that are shot internally. Sometimes that 150 dollar "deal" needs 100 worth of internal parts to allow it to shift and open the throttle fully.

Put an offer in on the one you linked and see what happens. For a new one, that wasn't a bad deal. I've paid over 300 for controls that come with harnesses twice already THIS YEAR.... -Al

Last edited:
Wow why are your controls wearing so fast!? And ya, $361 brand new from boats.net for mine so I'm guessing yours are similarly priced.

As for the controls I linked in other thread, the seller said they would not work. I told him I have a 2000(assuming) harness that came with the 2000 BF50 that came new with the boat, and currently have a 98' BF90 to go with that harness.

If they are indeed a fit I will pull the trigger, but I did not want to end up with a set of controls that don't fit my rig.

If you've been following me here a while, you may have heard me mention I work only on the 40-90 hp engines, and I do that as a hobby. The 40-90hp Honda engines I buy on the cheap as a hobby (dead/not running) are generally brought back to running like new/very good condition and sold for mad money. I only do 3-4 a year. There's a huge demand for them in that condition, and rarely do they last for a week when listed. Many/most guys want/need a set of controls with their new to them motors, and I try to accommodate with controls that I KNOW to be in good condition. I've learned that if my name is going on something it's going to be RIGHT to the best of my ability. Many of my customers turn into friends, and many times these friends have friends.....

Anyway, that control will work fine with a HONDA harness. The trolling control (I've never seen one with that feature) is very likely related a fuel injected motor. It's not something you'll use.

I mention that it will work with a Honda harness as I'm not absolutely sure what you have.

If you look at the pic in the ebay add, the ends that are directly above the motor, the one on the left (4 wire), and the one on the right (6 wire) are the important ones. You'll need a harness that will connect to those 2 sets of wires at minimum. Anything else that's there you will not likely use.

Further, have a look at the "related fitment" here. Note that they mention pre 97 40's and 50's. These are carbed motors that use the SAME controls and harness that you need - no "if's" to it.
https://www.boats.net/product/honda/24800-ZZ5-A22

Last, note there is a "watcher" on that ebay add. That's me. If that control is still there in a week, I'll move toward trying to buy it myself... -Al

Last edited:
Ah I see, sounds like you know these things VERY well!. Ya these motors are silly are to find.

Alright you convinced me, I may pull the trigger on it. If it ends up not working for me I can sell it to you.

Andrew

Back