Logo

2000 Johnson 6hp leak

Wigglez

Hi,

Admittedly I'm brand new to working on outboards and 2 strokes in general. I fired her up and noticed a leak start to form as shown in the pic.

Can it be identified from that?
The model is J6RLSSM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KwfuQkREY3djvNnd6

Edit: Image not working. Trying to find another way.
Edit_02: Added a link to the image instead as I couldn't upload it, or even a smaller version.

Last edited:
Water in a test bucket must be about 6" above the impeller.------This topic of leakage is discussed about 4 times every week.-----Normal for a 2 stroke running at idle in a test bucket.

Seems like a lot for such a short time. What could cause it to get down there?

That's the way the exhaust gas plus unburnt/ partially burnt oil and cooling water goes

The more you run it in a barrel or at low speeds the worse it will seem to get.

Take it for a good thrash across a few miles of open water and it should clean up but 2 strokes always have a tendency to leak unburnt oil from some place or another.

That joint is metal to metal, no gasket or sealant. Yours is leaking a bit . No big deal but when you fit a new pump impeller make sure thar joint faces are as clean as possible when you reassemble

A new impeller should be high on the list of things to do on a "new to you" engine if you don't know when it was last changed

Water in a test bucket must be about 6" above the impeller.------This topic of leakage is discussed about 4 times every week.-----Normal for a 2 stroke running at idle in a test bucket.

Ah, interesting. I figured as long as the water covered the intake holes it would be sufficient.

That's the way the exhaust gas plus unburnt/ partially burnt oil and cooling water goes

The more you run it in a barrel or at low speeds the worse it will seem to get.

Take it for a good thrash across a few miles of open water and it should clean up but 2 strokes always have a tendency to leak unburnt oil from some place or another.

That joint is metal to metal, no gasket or sealant. Yours is leaking a bit . No big deal but when you fit a new pump impeller make sure thar joint faces are as clean as possible when you reassemble

A new impeller should be high on the list of things to do on a "new to you" engine if you don't know when it was last changed

Thanks for the replies. I bought a water pump kit and gear oil. Spark plugs was the first thing I changed and the old ones were wet and black like it was rich in oil.

These pumps are not self priming.-----Water needs to be above the impeller.----We see it on this website 2 times a week.-----So the mistake is made hundreds of times every week in the backyards of the world.

Back