Logo

Do I need to do a link sync???

boatiebur

Hi all. I have a Johnson 70 hp 1975 model 70ESL75B. The linkages have been set up like this since I have owned the boat. The boat idles perfectly but runs rough at wot. Is the cam follower the problem as it is not in the center of the roller? What do I need to do? :eek:

IMG20210322105011 (303x640).jpg

As you can see the roller is below the cam marker line. I haven't touched any of the settings on this engine. Like I said it idles perfectly but can only run at 4000rpm at full throttle. Help???

Last edited:
I believe ---link & sync----Is overstated / misunderstood.-----If you are only getting 4000 RPM you need to do some trouble shooting.----Post the actual compression numbers.-----Check spark.---Check flywheel key.----Check fuel pump diaphragm.----Does manual fuel pump go hard ?------Use strong flashlight and look into carburetor bores at 4000 RPM and compare fuel coming up main nozzles.------The motor is 45 years old and inspection needs to be done.-----Hopefully water pump impeller has been replaced about 6 or 8 times !!

Ok thanks racerone I'll get those numbers back to the forum and let you know how it goes. Like you said the motor is old but it has been treated kindly. I was thinking that it was carby related. I can tell you that the fuel pump is new, fuel lines have been changed, new plugs and it has had seafoam run through the fuel system.

Last edited:
Back