Logo

Removal of steering cable Johnson 70hp

boatiebur

Hi all. I have a Johnson 70hp 1975 on a 1600 silverline hull. I'm unable to pull the cable from the outboard motor end as there isn't enough room. I've read in other forums that sometimes the engine needs to be removed to get the cable out. The rod that attaches to the outboard won't pull out. Is this the case? Thanks :(

I think you will likely have to pull the 4 bolts out and slide the motor to the left as far as it will go. Depending on how strong you are it might two.

A lot depends on the boat design / available width at transom.----Fairly easy for one person to slide the motor over in order to remove the cable.

You probably don't have to remove the engine nor should you need a hoist. Just pull the 4 bolts and slide the motor along the transom towards the Port side far enough to give you the clearance you need to remove the steering cable.

As Racer said boat design may be a limiting factor. Does your steering cable goes through a hole not to far away from where it screws onto the motor? If so there should be room to slide the motor over to the left.

Thanks for your quick replies Phil and Racerone. The cables go through a hole in the transom to the right. I'll post a pic when I learn how to do that. I am using the insert image icon but I can't get the image to paste.

I went thru this a year ago on a 78' 70hp evinrude and if I remember right theres a combination of things to get it off. Shift the gears in reverse forward till it comes out, might have to push down on the cable some but definitely don't have to remove the engine just seems like it.

Back