Logo

Black goo on ststoe

Dac1203

Hey guys,
I have a Johnson 2000 200hp J200vxsss everything seams to be in working order except only reach 46000-48000 rpm, compression is 115 give or take 5, fuel system has been gone thru and believed to be working properly,she starts every time and gets me home every time, idle is 800 with a small shake. It’s been like this since I owned it for 6yrs now. I noticed the black goo on the stator last season, 5 spark plugs have good clean burn except 1 #6 it’s got some black residue on it, should I replace the stator or be doing more tests or just leave it alone.

Black goo is sign of stator overheating usually due to a bad or failing rectifier/reg. Are you have any tach or over/under charging problems?

Started her on muffs yesterday after a long NE winter, idle was at 1200 with a slight bounce prob 25-50 rpms worth,boat is at slip from may to November, never on a charger and never had battery issues. So I don’t believe there’s a problem with either tach or charger.

I had this same problem last summer. Changed fuel lines, filters, coils, and it was the stator. Will your boat get on plane. If it will I would leave it alone. The guys on here know a ton more then I do but it was the issue I last summer and the stator resolved that problem.

Back