Logo

Honda 50hp 4 stroke outboard wiring trouble

hurdla

I just recently purchased a 2017 Honda 50 hp 4 stroke outboard. The only problem is that the wiring harness was cut off right outside the motor. I want to wire an ignition switch up. These are the wire colors coming out of the motor....and what I think they are suppose to be hooked up to....

Red...12v power
Black...ground
Grey...tach
Brown...choke
Lt. Green...trim up
Let. Blue...trim down
Yellow...???
White/black...ignition switch
Black/red...stop
Black/white...start
Yellow/green...???
Yellow/black...???
Green/black...???
Black/yellow...pulse 2
Black +green...stator

If there is anyone out there that can explain to me how to hook this up it would be greatly appreciated. I love to fish and used to also when my husband was alive. Im widowed and live on a very fixed low income.

Although this motor is fuel injected, it will run properly on the older Honda (with carbs) harness and controls. I'm so cheap I squeak when I walk, and have been working on these mid range Honda's for a while now, but I would not attempt what I think you are trying to do. I would try to come up with an older Honda harness and use that (easily less than 100). Trying to wire something up like you are asking about is a perfect recipe for frying some VERY expensive components......

Noteworthy is that the fuel injected engine like this does not use a choke, there are a total of 4 different warning lights in that harness, AND as if that were not enough, there's also a warning buzzer that will sound if there's anything serious going on with the motor's oil pressure or water temperature.

Last thought, you might want to consider selling this motor, which should be relatively easy even without controls or wiring harness, which should EASILY bring you enough money to buy a pretty decent fishing boat AND motor, ready to go.....

Back