Logo

Cool Fuel Pump Pressure Regulator

abl1111

Regular Contributor
Just removed this " @#@$#$%&Y$%? thing " from the lowest part of the bilge. Think little to no visibility while being a contortionist, and making 25 tiny turns to with finger tips x 2. Ugh. Need a beer....

A few questions:

• I'd like to test the fuel pressure regulator's function while out of the boat - is this possible ? If so, how do you do it ?
  • Or, I'd replace it - is there an aftermarket or GM equivalent to this part ? The part # is: 861126A 1
  • The fuel filter screen that sits under the pressure regulator is still seated in the cool fuel housing - it looks good from what I can see, besides it's in there pretty well and might be a PITA to remove. Does the fuel flow through the regulator into the screen or from the screen into the regulator ( this will let me know which side of the screen would have gunk - if any )

Lastly, there's a brass nut on the end of the fuel pressure regulator - is this removable or is it one with the unit ?

Thx

The screen should stay with the regulator... Blow the paint off of it and re install it. Fuel pressure should be 38+- PSI at idle and 40-43 with the vacuum line pulled....

The fuel filter is under the 3 screws and has a handle on it... There is another filter under the filter holder at the bottom of the well. Long nose pliers will help you remove it.

The fact is that I have the FPR out already, I’d like to test - I think I can test by sealing o ring area with a makeshift ‘test plate’, slowly blow compressed air to 43 psi to see if the valve opens. That make sense ?

The whole cool fuel etc is in a terrible location in bilge. I’m trying not to remove it. Should I reinstall FPR, run tests and go from there ? Or, can I test fuel pump output at fuel pump while all is in place ( I could reinstall FPR or use a test plate to cover area on cold fuel tube...)

FWIW - I tested fuel pressure at rail prior to removing FPR - it was 35 at idle and raised idle. I did not test the pressure with the vac hose removed. I know spec is 43 - is that with or without vac attached ?

Last edited:
If the fuel pressure tested 35 PSI with vacuum attached, does that sound within an acceptable range ?

I just tested the FPR and it checks OK. Is it safe to say that once I reinstall the FPR, and disconnect the FPR vacuum, that it would bring me to 43 PSI ?

Tested the FPR w/ air and it seems to work to spec. Not sure how to test it with fuel especially since the cool fuel tube, and fuel pump are still installed.

Right now, I want to make sure the fuel pump is working ok while sill in place.

Lastly, the ss screen filter that sits in the cool fuel tube, which is still in place down near the bilge, seems tough to remove. It’s in a tough spot to assess how it comes out, is there a trick to getting it out?

Back