Logo

Help To Identify This Part

tompass

Contributing Member
9k=

Need help identifying this part which is located at bottom of 2003 Honda 225 just to port from center of rear of engine.

Attachments

• Inkedrust bolts2_LI.jpg
    Inkedrust bolts2_LI.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 104
Need help identifying this part which is located at bottom of 2003 Honda 225 just to port from center of rear of engine.
Getting trickle of coolant water from below middle of port side lower cowl. Only rust that can be seen is those two bolts, one over the other, so think perhaps leak is from that part or a hose raining on that area.

Keeping in mind that the cooling water is sent through the system with some force, a leak could not only be coming from above but from below or from the side as well.

What outboard are we looking at? Knowing that piece of info might help someone help you.

Good luck.

Keeping in mind that the cooling water is sent through the system with some force, a leak could not only be coming from above but from below or from the side as well.

What outboard are we looking at? Knowing that piece of info might help someone help you.

Good luck.

2003 Honda 225. Checked over the engine and seems that those two bolts are the only sign of rust. Could certainly be leak from above but if that part is a cover where water passes through perhaps if coming from behind the bolts.

Reason for asking is having a drizzle from lower cowl. Honda's do have issues with holes in block but would think it would be more water than what is seen here. I think that part is some kind of bracket.

Attachments

• Inkedrust bolts2_LI.jpg
    Inkedrust bolts2_LI.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 81
  • port side leak.jpg
    port side leak.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 21
Is the top photo your outboard? If so, why not take the side cover off and take a picture of the area you're concerned about?

Actually had the mechanic address the issue though this process but just received an update. I went to to marina to see exactly what was going on and all I saw was the top engine cover removed and the black plastic electrical cover in front of the motor also removed. Received a voice message yesterday and he said boat was fixed and I can use it immediately. Also said he would provide details and of course the invoice. I am not aware of any water lines/tubes in front of the engine but perhaps he needed access to an area that removing the electronics cover made easier. I will update when he contacts me. Perhaps patched small hole but who knows. If he did patch. I would have preferred that he would have used Belzona but likely JB Weld was used.

Have you ever purchased Belzona 1111?

I think the cost might have something to do with why it wasn't used.

Just sayin'

I spoke with Belzona rep and he advised 1212. It will adhere to less than perfectly prepped surface. About $175 . 1111 is very very expensive.

I would say $175 for epoxy IS expensive! Belzona 1111 is RIDICULOUSLY expensive. But then I'm not as "well heeled" as some.

I think it would be safe to say though that pretty much ANY outboard repair shop is not likely to have that stuff laying around. I imagine that it would be more of a "customer request" sort of situation and I will bet you that they will price THAT particular repair accordingly.

But if the JB Weld fails then....

Good luck.

I was prepared to purchase the Belzona 1212 myself directly from distributor. By all reviews the 1212 is far superior to JB Weld. But again I don't know if was a hole in block. Mechanic still has not issued an invoice so I strongly suspect that it was something resulting from his complete overhaul of cooling system at end of last season. Had internal anodes replaced and of course new exhaust manifold gaskets. Poppet valves and gaskets replaced. Temperature sensors and thermostats and all gaskets replaced. Impeller and mid shaft bearing replaced. And VST drained and high speed fuel filter replaced. May have been a wrinkled gasket, faulty water house clamp, or whatever. There are 3 water hoses on port side in area where I had the drizzle coming from. I will update when I can. Did run motor on muff with no leaks. Also used flush port with no leaks.

Closure. Thanks for all the input.
CHECK WATER LEAK SERVICE CALL SERVICE CALL 1 50.00 50.00T LABOR WENT MARINA AND HAD BOAT SET IN WORK RACK, REMOVED SIDE SKIRT AND HOOKED TO WATER SAW THAT WATER WAS LEAKING ON PORT EXAUST MANIFOLD. (NEED TO GET NEW GASKETS.) 0 95.00 0.00T 18125-ZY3-003 HONDA MANIFOLD GASKET 1 31.30 31.30T 91301-ZY3-003 ORING 1 8.34 8.34T LABOR WENT BACK AND REMOVED MANIFOLD AND FOUND O-RING PINCHED BY A PICE OF CORROSION, CLEANED AND REMOUNTED AND SEALED. CRANKED ON HOSE AND DIDN'T SEE ANY LEAKS, REMOUNTED SKIRT. 0 95.00 0.00T ANY BOAT/MOTOR/TRAILER REMAINING ON PROPERTY AFTER 7 DAYS O

Back