Logo

Mercruiser 4.3 will not start ( no clicks, not even cranking)

vasi1

Hello everyone, i am still new to boats and trying to understand them. I have a 2010 Tahoe 5QI, about 150 hours usage, that i have been using for the last 3 years ( not a lot, 4-5 times a year). Never gave me problem till now, when i notice the starting battery was dead ( even thou was only 5 months old- no clue what happened). I bought a new battery and when i tried to start the engine nothing happened.
It is a mercruiser MCM 4.3 litre. No cracking attempts, no clicking nothing, just the oil pressure alarm.
Here is what i have done: change both batteries ( one is for trolling), checked all the fuses under the dash and on the engine ( it may be 25 or so) , all good; killer switch in "run" position, the gear in neutral. I have power to radio, lights, bilge pump, blower, trim, gas gauge. The power also is going to starter ( according to me voltmeter). i was thinking it may be the starter or the solenoid but i would thing that if that is the case then i would have a click, a noise, some indication that the engine is trying, but i have nothing.
So i am out of ideas, not knowing what to do next.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you !

Than you for the answer Chris. I don't remember doing anything like that.
in between i muted the oil pressure alarm and i identified a click that comes from the top of the motor it may be a circuit braeker that trips anytime i am trying to start the motor.i cant seem to upload a pic or a movie , i could have show you

That is the slave solenoid clicking... Pull the black cover off the top and short the two large post together with a wrench/screw driver or something similar.... it should engage the starter... If it does, Disconnect the battery and replace the slave solenoid.

Back