Logo

2002 200HP Honda Alarming

DiveTime

Looking for some help. I recently purchased a 1999 World Cat with twin 2002 200hp Hondas on it. Motors have been running great until one started alarming and going into Limp mode. Checked plugs found plug in good shape but replaced anyway. Found one of the seals in the valve cover leaking oil filling up the area around coil pack, replaced seals. No water infiltration into the oil. Replaced impeller and thermostats motor runs great for maybe 5 minutes to 20 minutes does it at speed or or idling, but will alarm and go into limp mode but all I have to do to clear is turn it off and restart and may go another 20 minutes before it does it again. No rhyme or reason or consistency to it.

Watched all the videos on line about installing jumper into the red connector shorting out the lime\green wire and the black to get the dash lights to flash a code. My light just comes on and does not flash?

Do I need to catch it in alarm and install the jumper? Seems like the alarm is clearing on restart or is just not working.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Engine faults from the programmed fuel injection (PGM-FI are stored on the EPROM in the ECU and will stay there until cleared. The check engine light will stay on if there are no fault codes, assuming you did it correctly. Correct procedure is here: View attachment Procedure for Getting Fault Codes.pdf

What the faults codes mean is here: View attachment MIL Fault Codes Scanned.pdf

Lets start from the beginning...

1. Is the alarm continuous, long intermittent (every second), or short intermittent (every 1/2 second)? See this chart: View attachment BF 225 Alarms.pdf

2. When alarm sounds, what lights are on on the key switch? (Hopefully, you have the 4-light key switch - Oil pressure (green) overheat (red), alternator (red) and PGM-FI (red.)) Normal operation is green oil pressure light on, and all the red ones off.

3. Have you checked the on-board fuel/water separator? If you are getting a short intermittent alarm, there may be water in there.

4. LIMP more is 1800 rpm. Are you sure you are going into LIMP mode? If so, only two things cause that - 1.)Overheating where engine will shut down in 20 seconds if temperature does not return to normal range within that time. 2.)low oil pressure, where engine will continue to run in LIMP mode.

Answer these questions and we will try to help you out.

Chawk thank you for your quick response,

Your response on the codes helped, I only have a 2 light not 4 light panel, (First I had heard that part but i was doing the procedure right)

The alarm when it happens, is continuous.

What I am calling Limp mode may not be the correct term, the motor alarms and starts shaking like its missing bad. Sometimes I can back out of it (RPM's) and shaking/missing will stop but alarm will continue to sound until i turn off motor and restart.

OK. Difficult to diagnose with only the 2-light key switch. What lights are on/off when the alarm sounds? Does the green oil pressure light go off?

See if there is a dealer or marine repair shop nearby who has the Honda Diagnostic System computer (HDS) or Dr. H. They may be able to plug in to the service connecter and pinpoint the problem.

Based on your description, I'm taking a guess that you may have a fuel feed problem. So some quick and easy things to check...

1. When engine starts alarming and engine is missing, feel the primer bulb. If it is partially collapsed, you may have a blockage in the fuel tank vent, or the fuel pickup tube in the tank.

2. When engine starts missing, rapidly pump the primer bulb, if the engine smooths out, then you may have a failing low pressure fuel pump.

3. Check the fuel line for kinks - especially check where the fuel line enters the engine compartment through that big black grommet. Unbolt the top piece that holds that grommet in place and make sure that it is not pinching the fuel line.

4. When is the last time the high pressure fuel filter was changed. These engines are very sensitive to a clogged HP fuel filter.

5. Have you drained the VST? If not, do so. Instructions are in the owners manual.

6. Fuel in the VST chamber is cooled by a water jacket mounted on the side. This prevents a fuel vapor lock. The water hoses to that cooling jacket can get pinched or clogged. If you can get them off, check that there is good water flow through the VST cooling chamber.
See part 11 at: https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...ge/200hp/bf200a2-la-2002/vapor-separator-assy

Hopefully some other folks will jump in with some ideas.

Thanks again, Looks like i have some more digging to do. I also misunderstood about the lights systems. I do have 4 lights, 2 on the key switch itself and 2 on another panel. When I do the procedure with jumper it does not flash. It comes on continuously and will go off when you remove the jumper but NO flashing. I will try again and check some of the other recommendation.

Back