Logo

Default My new project, sometime. 1932 Johnson OK-60

Okay here's a new project for me to do, in my spare time. It is a 1932 Johnson OK-60 7 horsepower. I picked it up early this morning from a guy at work he said he was going to scrap it. He gave it to me just basically get it out of his yard. Everything looks to be complete, the motor is seized up I'm guessing from rust. However the water jacket is broken off on one side but I don't think the combustion chamber was damaged so I can always fix the hole with brass. Fun fun!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210330_081901.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	516.2 KB 
ID:	26413

Name:	20210330_081641.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	291.7 KB 
ID:	26411

Name:	20210330_081613.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	733.5 KB 
ID:	26412

Default Re: My new project, sometime. 1932 Johnson OK-60

Should not be hard to find a replacement used cylinder.-------aomci------Is the place to find that item and other parts cheap.

They were a real powerhouse. Be great if you could get it running. Tim's Outboard might direct you too. Start soakin' er down with atf/acetone.....fresh mix. I'll drive up to Virginia, buy you lunch, just to see it running. My friend Walt, who built a camp on our lake near Quibell Ont. back in the early 30's, had one an a frieghting canoe he used on the 16 mile portage......he said it was an "animal".......not sure if that meant good or bad! Same motor, Brian.....I've seen pictures.

I am going to start soaking it tonight. I have a bit of tinker time tonight, been digging around AOMCI already. Lots of great info on that old stuff. I hope it is just rust stuck not blown up. I want to see it run up on Jackfish bay in BWCA! Chart says 7hp, but it has a huge prop for a 7hp. Maybe 7hp, but lots of torque.

Exactly.....old "Walter", my resort/log building mentor said about that 7
    horse: ..........................."She got some SHOULDERS on 'er"......."Pulls like a good team a horses".
    Last edited by timguy; 03-30-2021 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Typo

Ok, so a little update with this project. It had sat outside in many snowbanks over the years and was minorly seized. Light rust mixed with varnish/fuel/oil mix. I am glad they ran them so very rich years ago as that is what has saved this engine. From what I can gather, it is 99% complete, I even have one of the Bakelite plastic spark plug caps that came with it. Typical things: light abuse on the propeller, small dents on the fuel tank, the cast exhaust manifolds have some bolts tabs broken, but nothing that can't be made or welded. These motors have a interesting induction setup on them, piston porting, but yet some sort of spring loaded valve with what looks like a diffuser under it? Almost like the finning off of a industrial bulldozer radiator. I hope the pictures show it. I hope to get the parts soaking in a tub of ATF/acetone 50/50 mix to unstick them, rings are stuck hard but not broken, yet that is..... I have this project posted over on AOMCI as well. I have a feeling parts will be hard to find. Anywho, I will post when I can, when life allows. In the meantime, here is a few pictures.

Name:	1932 johnson 04.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	326.8 KB 
ID:	26466

Name:	1932 johnson 055.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	331.5 KB 
ID:	26467

Name:	1932 johnson 066.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	475.8 KB 
ID:	26468

Name:	1932 johnson 07.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	26469

At one time ALUMINUM was very expensive compared to today.------They kept things simple and reed valves were still in the future.----Ports in the pistons work and can not fail.

Looks like that motor was in pretty good shape when some idiot threw it out in the snow. That busted cylinder jacket is obviously from water pooled inside, then frozen. Did you know that the "Wright Flier" was fuel injected? No carb. Part of it now has been transported to Mars. Man can accomplish anything. Brian, this will be a fun project.

Would have been nice if the cyl was Aluminum, that is a eazy fix with a peice of 10ga sheet and a TIG. But I have a method in my head to repair the cast iron if it comes to that. I hope the bore isn't cracked. I will de-rust it then pressure check it. If it is a pass then some careful grinding, patch cutting, then brazing or silver soldering is in order. I used to nickel weld cast, but sometimes the base metal will not blend. Or even with a preheat you hear "tink!" another crack! Brass is forgiving, and easy to reshape when done.

Well had a few seconds in the garage to play. I pulled the piston/rod assembly out of the crankcase. Things at first glance look great for the age! Rods have shims so you can pull a shim when the rod gets sloppy. Interesting idea. The main crank bushings look in great shape! Both the rod and main journals on the crank look very nice. I will spin them on a lathe to polish with some 800 wet/dry and mineral spirits. I have to get some acetone and ATF tomorrow to let the piston/rods soak and the cylinders. This is going to be a fun project! Rest of my 9.9 parts came today, so let the juggling begin!

With nice journals....that's half the battle, eh? If no water was trapped in the cylinder, it's unlikely the bore is cracked. Somebody MUST have a "jug", however, save a lot of work for sure.....even if you gotta sleeve it. If cracks are not running all over your busted jug, you could certainly repair it with a patch and pure nickel, reverse polarity. Trick would be to find a scrap piece with a reasonably close shape. I love working with cast...I enjoy the challenge. Ha! My first attempt, however, 45 years ago....destroyed a set of 327 fuelie heads......stupid.

Just a little update. I have both cylinders soaking in ATF/Acetone mix. Lots of crude coming out of them. I will probably rinse them out this weekend and maybe boil them in hot water and dawn dish soap and see where that takes me. All of the frost/casting plugs have pushed out which is good, that saved one cylinder. I am going to silicone a plate on the exhaust and main flange and pressure test the damaged one to see if it is good or not. Pitting didn't look to bad, good enough to make it a light duty runner anyways.
    Pistons and rods are soaking in the same mix. The lower rings on each unstuck rather easy. The top are being stubborn. But slowly I am getting them. Each day after work I lightly compress them into the groove, then heat the piston with a hand torch and "work" the rings a bit and let the "mix" get in there. Then heat them again and dunk back into the mix and let it wick in there. Kind of weird, I used Valvoline Dextron/Mercon 3 and store brand Acetone, but they don't stay mixed for more than a hour. I keep sloshing them around, seems to work. Anywho, thats it for now, till I get the cylinders cleaned and rings unstuck and unbroken........

Looks like a great project for you to do. I have been trying to insert images on another thread but I cannot work out how to do it. Any tips on what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by boatiebur View Post
    Looks like a great project for you to do. I have been trying to insert images on another thread but I cannot work out how to do it. Any tips on what to do?
    Pictures have to be under 1000K file size. If they are too big, open in windows, upper right side there will be three dots. Click that and select resize. Slide the bar to a lower percentage and hit save. That should do it. I'm guessing there might be a few different ways, but that's just the way I do it. After that you should be all set.

I have an editing/file app called litphoto. I always use my phone...so it's right there, I can check the forum anytime. Once I take my picture, I open litphoto and resize, crop, .....whatever, then it puts the 1000k photo into the file. I can then go back and the "forum photos" are ready to go out for the readers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210305-200618.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	26530  
    Last edited by timguy; 04-08-2021 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Add photo

Thanks BRUPP, the file size was 2Meg and it wouldn't load on this site. Much appreciated

Thanks

Keep us posted on your project. Thanks !
    Last edited by Boobie; 12-06-2021 at 02:43 AM.

Thumbs up Re: My new project, sometime. 1932 Johnson OK-60

Well i forgot to take some pictures of in progress. But lets see if this one posts. It is coming along nice. Alot of monkey work. Had to silver solder to build up the worn connecting rods, bore then ream to size. Cast red brass. Found a used cylinder at Penns outboard. Rings from Otto's small engine. Have been hitting up the guys on AOMCI for indepth stuff. But most is straight forward. Fuel system is next..

Name:	20211119_155653.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	432.7 KB 
ID:	28079
    Last edited by BRUPP79; 12-06-2021 at 03:51 PM.