Logo

Labor Estimate for Engine Replacement

kskaugset

"I have a 1983 Sea Ray Sundanc

"I have a 1983 Sea Ray Sundancer 270 with twin Mercrusier 5.0L sterndrives. I am having the port side engine replaced by a reputable marine repair shop. The work order calls for a remanufactured long block (OEM from Mercruiser). They have estimated the labor at 34 hours. Am I missing something, or does that seem high for a long block replacement?"

"does seem a little high, but

"does seem a little high, but depends on condition of current engine,(lots of parts to remove, clean, and replace) and access. (how tough to get out/in) I usually figure from 18-24 hours."

"Kerry:
"replaced by a r

"Kerry:
"replaced by a reputable marine repair shop" is a good way to go. They have based the job on past experience. As a buyer for a municipality with its own multi-utility systems, I run into many parts plus work orders. I would rather have a detailed work order by item and a max. time limit or a flat job rate.
what other jobs are on the work order? Carb. rebuild, starter and alternator to be refurbished? New engine recirc. pump? Bellows package? Shift cables, etc. A 1983 boat that is having the engine replaced may need a new coupler and flywheel refinished. They don't know until it is opened up. Engine mount bases may need rebuilt after 23 years. Many surprises show up on a 23 year old boat. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
Guy"

"Flat rate is 4 for the R&

"Flat rate is 4 for the R&R of a stearn drive motor, plus 6 to switch over all of the parts. No one can do it within flat rate if you include a thorough clean up and a proper seatrial, but 34 is really a stretch.

Scott's time is accurate and reasonable. I charge for 40 hours for an inboard longblock change in a mid engine boat, which usually requires dismanteling and reassembling half of the interior of the boat."

"I didn't do any engine wo

"I didn't do any engine work, but earlier this year my brother and I removed the engine - replaced the Y pipe gasket - reinstalled engine - all this in 1 day with 2 trips to the hardware store for tools - probably 7 hours total. To be sure a pro could do it quicker."

"8/34=4+ days...theres not

"8/34=4+ days...theres not that much attached to the block. Even if you give them a day to take it out and a day to put it back in, you still have two days for swapping out parts?

Unless you start snapping bolts."

"The old saying "you pay f

"The old saying "you pay for what you get" fits in this situation.

Of course, you could save some cash up front and hire the Moron brothers, Dumb and Dufus who will do the job for $50 each and all the beer they can drink. They'll want to do it at your place just in case their last workers' comp claim has run out. Then they get to live off your home owner's policy after Dumb drops the engine on Dufus' foot and Dufus cranks the engine while Dumb has his hand around the flywheel! Any parts left over they get to keep and sell at their next yard sale.

All that said; the estimate of 34 hours seems reasonable based upon this thread.

Guy"

"That's only 2 days for 2

"That's only 2 days for 2 men,..........

Sounds short to Me on a 23 year old 34' boat.......(Ayuh, I bet Everything is Right where you can get at it)

I can see Another Day spent on the Other things that'll need replacing after they see the light of day......."

...might as well weigh in with

...might as well weigh in with everyone else. Seems long since we're talking about a mid eighties 27' dancer... the engines come straight up and out through the engine covers. Would understand if this was an aft cabin thing. Plenty of padding in that 34 hr number.

Thanks to all of you for your

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I am moving forward with the work. As I had stated in the original post this is a reputable shop. I guess I would rather that the estimate come in a little high than too low.

Back