Logo

Lower Unit Oil Leak and Seal Kit Question for BF225a4

wildebeest

Contributing Member
All, I have new-to-me twin BF225A4 engines. They have been sitting up for a few months. After visiting my boat this weekend to do some cleaning, I noticed that there were a few drops of lower unit oil at the bottom of my skeg on one motor. After tilting the engine up and looking more closely, it looked like this was coming from somewhere in the prop shaft area. The gear oil looks clean (no water), but I assume that after it is run on the water more, whatever is letting this leak out will let water in.

Will changing out the lower unit seals correct a small gear oil leak like this? I'm about to change the impeller so thought that would be a good time to change the seals to see if it fixed the issue. Searching around, it looks like the primary problem observed requiring new seals is water intrusion--not gear oil leaking, but again, this may just be a factor of not having much time on the water.

If I do need to replace the seals, I've found this seal kit: 06125-ZY3-C00 but it looks like it's only for 2007 and later models. Will this work for my 2004 model or is there a similar kit for a 2004 model, or do I need to identify and buy just the individual seals?

Last edited:
Back