Logo

1999 Volvo Penta (looking to purchase a used boat)

FredCombs

Looking to buy a 1999 Four Winns that has a Volvo penta on it. Everything looks good from the pictures but the only thing that concerns me is it sat in a slip all summer and the outdrive is covered in gunk. Before I go look at it, what concerns would you have with this? I will check all of the standard stuff but was wondering what kind of problems this accumulation could cause. And also how do you clean that stuff off lolB8154942-3501-453C-9BC4-F4771F1FA1F7.jpeg

Highly recommend having the boat checked by a marine surveyor. They will give you an unbiased report that could save you thousands of dollars, or reassure you that you will be making a solid purchase.
Just by the amount of growth on there, my impression is that the thing has been ignored for most of its career. That's never good for machinery and boats in particular.

Powerwash should remove most of it. Barnacles you have to scrape off with wooden tool so you don't dig into the paint or metal.

If left tilted up that long, the bellows are likely shot... inspect the bearings in the drive shaft while swapping bellows.

Back