Logo

Honda Controls?

Embarq82

Looks like I might need to replace my remote controls since they are not working very smoothly. I have a 1998 BF90 ...Are these compatible with the the 2000 era wiring harness? It said pre on many years in the description..

https://www.boats.net/product/honda...-sg3NnlyuCXshHwsx8c2RLIwB8JXWAAxoCxl8QAvD_BwE

I can try taking mine apart when I get more time. The button on the lever isn't working good and it is not moving fully in the forward position - this is with the cables disconnected from the motor. If anybody has any tips or advice I'm open ears.

Thanks
Andrew

Last edited:
The wire harness works fine for anything that's not fuel injected - anything pre 2007 or so.

The "button". Are we talking about the trim/tilt switch? If so, not unusual for an older switch to get picky/erratic. If the switch on the side of the motor is functioning OK, usually you can get away replacing just the one on the control arm. Not real difficult. There is the possibility you have something going on in the wire harness, but that would be unusual.

On the "not moving fully" comment, that's generally an adjustment that's done when the cables are first installed. The idea that you have one that's "not moving fully" when disconnected from the motor is pretty unusual. I would have that control apart looking for the reason that might be. -Al

The wire harness works fine for anything that's not fuel injected - anything pre 2007 or so.

The "button". Are we talking about the trim/tilt switch? If so, not unusual for an older switch to get picky/erratic. If the switch on the side of the motor is functioning OK, usually you can get away replacing just the one on the control arm. Not real difficult. There is the possibility you have something going on in the wire harness, but that would be unusual.

On the "not moving fully" comment, that's generally an adjustment that's done when the cables are first installed. The idea that you have one that's "not moving fully" when disconnected from the motor is pretty unusual. I would have that control apart looking for the reason that might be. -Al

The button I was referring to was actually the shift button on the lever, which stays depressed which I'm not sure if it effects the functionality.

But yes, when attempting to throttle forward it gets stuck, I'll have to take it apart and see if its something I can fix or have to pony up the cash for a new one.

Yup, that will work - assuming you have the standard Honda harness used with it to go from this back to the motor.

I've never seen a Honda control that WASN'T black!

I usually bought this type of accessories through Boats.net coupons because I always get special offers from this store. Recently I got different tools for my home from there & their offers were really amazing & money saving.

Back