Logo

Force 125 Coil Replacement

Arbear117

Hey all,
I was working on my motor and I think I figured out that the coil is bad so I went ahead and ordered the recommended one from this site (the after market 98$ coil) and I noticed it was quite a bit different then the blue ones that are currently on it. I was looking at the picture for the new one and was wondering how anyone has wired them to the CD in the past because the old ones have a quick connect thing from the CD to the coil and the new ones just have the lead on the coil where it looks like it should have a smaller size wire that would look like a plug wire (which it doesn’t come with) so I’m wondering how I should wire that to the coil or if there is a part out there that is an adapter for both?
Thanks!

Last edited:
No adaptor that I know of.
Just use butt connectors and make sure there's a good connection.

You sure the coils bad? In over 35 years, I've only seen one go bad???
You try swapping them around?
The trigger leads are real thin and break under the shrink wrap/connector.
No plug wire? what's the part # or add a pic of the new part.

Jerryjerry05, yes pretty sure it’s a coil I didn’t have a spark on cylinder one and I swapped the coil from two in it’s place then put the coil from 1 in the two spot and had spark on one but not two. But it was strange because sometimes the cylinder would kick in when I was driving the boat, but only for short periods and hardly ever would. The part # is 182-4475R, there is a plug wire, but not a wire to go from that weird lead to the CD wire. It just looks like it would take a boot style connector like a plug wire has.

Last edited:
You can get OEM ignition parts for Force outboards from Standard Magneto in Chicago, IL. They have most everything you need, and the prices are EXTREMELY reasonable. I have used them for years to keep my 87 Force running. Look them up at standardmagneto.com.

So it's been a while haven't had time to work on it since last spring but I replaced that coil and it worked... for a few weeks and then the same old issue, I noticed it tended to usually only miss on one cylinder and every once and a while miss on a second, usually only missed the second under heavy load with lots of people on board or when trying to pull up a skier. I also noticed sometimes adjusting the tilt of the motor would sometimes get the fourth to kick in (not under heavy load). I'm lost now as to what it could be, I'm going to recheck the spark and go from there, just thought I'd shoot out a message to get some ideas out. Thanks!

Well I tested spark had spark on all cylinders, how do I check the trigger leads? Should I be checking the thicker stripped wires coming out of the trigger or the multiple colored ones?

Testing trigger leads: the wire breaks under the shrink wrap/glue at the connector.
I replace them ALLLL. Stator too.
Tugg on the thin wire end at the connector.
If it's bad then the wire connector pulls off.
Don't try to pull from the base.
Undo and tape or ties and check for wear.

So I checked all the wires connectors they all seem fine. However I did notice the trigger itself (aluminum body under the stator) seems loose I can wiggle it up and down and side to side maybe a 1/16”… could this be the problem? Thanks for all the reply’s!

Back