Logo

Mercruiser tapered roller bearings binding when tighten retainer nut

AM Marine

I have a bravo 3 im doing someone a favor fixing. I normally work on larger diesels so I need some advice. I changed the yoke end and yoke seal on a bravo 3 drive and then set the rolling torque. When I tighten the retainer nut to 125 lb/ft (as per manual) the gears bind and the driveshaft barely spins. Anyone have any ideas? I installed everything correctly. Also- is the spacer between the gears supposed to spin freely? I know they are pressed onto the pinion but the current one does not spin freely. Any input is appreciated. I attached a picture of the bearings i have.

I'd say re-read the manual or get the factory one....

The retainer nut torque value is 200 lb * ft - the value the wrench gets set to will vary with the wrench used...assuming one uses the factory spanner wrench...

Did you drop #42 when doing the bearing stack? This is the breakdown of a newer drive with a shimable input.... The shim missing would cause the gears to bind.... You could over torque the retainer to 300lbs and unless you crush or displace the shim the gears should not bind.

Junk.png

Back