Logo

Low Speed mode advice

StevDev

Hi, newbie looking for advice. Am looking to purchase a 2020 33' boat which has twin gasoline Volvo Penta 380 Aquamatic sterndrives. I believe steering is hydraulic. The throttle control doesn't have Low Speed mode fitted (button is blank). Just want to know if manoeuvring and navigating canals and harbour at 3 knots is likely to be an issue? Thanks.

depends upon its profile and the environment...if it sits high out of the water (lots of 'sail area'), it will be a challenge anytime there is significant cross wind. currents may be a concern if there is significant draft, too...

Doing 3 knots may also be a challenge, depending upon how the units are propped...5-6 knots is more typical of idle...

I would say take the helm in your sea trial and see how the boat maneuvers for yourself....

depends upon its profile and the environment...if it sits high out of the water (lots of 'sail area'), it will be a challenge anytime there is significant cross wind. currents may be a concern if there is significant draft, too...

Doing 3 knots may also be a challenge, depending upon how the units are propped...5-6 knots is more typical of idle...

I would say take the helm in your sea trial and see how the boat maneuvers for yourself....

Thanks for the reply. Sits v.low in the water. I think you're probably right in that would need smaller props to idle at 3 knots. Problem is sea trials are not possible hereabouts due to Covid lockdown restrictions in force for at least the next month.

Back