Logo

Setting float height on 1987 ns30a3

ddc11

The manual I have says measure float height and but doesn't say what it should be.

Mine measures .776 inches diagonally from the pivot but is not adjustable as it all plastic and does not have a metal tab.

At the level to the carb body position it would have to be about .700 inches when eyeballing level.

My problem has been engine surging back and forth at intermediate throttle. Runs great at high speed and idles great and I have just started rebuilding carb.

The original float for the 30A3 had a metal tab. If you have an aftermarket float that is all plastic, you should be able to warm the plastic tab area and bend it if needed. Get the rest of the carb cleaned up and see if you still have surging issues first.

Thanks, that sounds like a good plan. Cleaned all the passages this evening with isopropyl alcohol and a high volume syringe over a white bowl and not a speck of anything showed up. Plan on using carb cleaner later tonight now that I know every thing that doesn't require removing a welch plug is at least open. Won't get to test it on the water for a least a month. Outside of setting the idle there isn't much that can be done running it in a barrel.

Last edited:
Update; Cleaned carb, checked timing and it was right on, discovered that when put in idle from the remote the bell crank that controlled timing did not always go against the stop screw but would leave a gap of maybe a 32nd to a 16th of an inch. Lengthened it by two turns on the connector. I had found once the tach was installed it was too fast of an idle as the advance was past tdc. I think the previous owner may have tried to slow it down with the needle valve since when in was finally set to 1050-900 I had to open it some above the original position. Took it to the lake today and it runs smooth at all throttle settings. Did find that full throttle would run past 5500 and would have kept going higher if I would not have backed off. Running a 12p prop and will now have to decide between 13 or14 pitch. My test run today would be my the normal total weight as I took my Doberman with be to be a substitute for my second trolling battery.

Back