Logo

Merctrans II MCM-D what engines and out drves can be used with this trans and gimble housing.

Mrt777

I just recently bought a SKV 24ft day cruiser for 500.00 minus the engine and out drive but has the trans and gimble housing, I want to know what other engines option there is for my trans and what outdrives can be used with the merctrans II Model MCM-D.

Going off memory, that's a newer version gear for the old TRS drive...you'll have to measure to see which block it will bolt up to...I believe the earlier ones where made in a ford and a GM version, the latter in GM only patterns.

You can use any engine that the gear will bolt up to...

As stated earlier, those gears were typically used in front of TRS outdrives...and they haven't been "popular" for a while...good news is they are tough....but finding one and someone to work on them can be a challenge...you will have to measure the gimbal housing to be certain...they are much larger than the alpha parts...

You'll probably want a big block in there for the TRS drive. These are made for big power. The Speedmaster version of the TRS was a racing must-have back in the day. Now they are relatively cheap and plentiful as obsolete racing gear.

here's one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercruiser...541561?hash=item263ddb54f9:g:9TAAAOSwV-Je5~s6

If you don't feel inclined to spend 4-5 thou on a drive and prop, and another 6-10 for an engine to push it, then look around for a used boat with good running 350 and alpha 1 or 2 drive. That will fit the transom cutout.

Keep in mind these Speedmasters are steered externally with hydraulic rams

Last edited:
Back