Logo

Honda BF 90D oil pump removal help

Tomos

I,m new on Forum and i need help/ advice from more experienced owners of Honda BF 90D. To remove oil pump do i have first to remove cylinder head together with oil pump or i can directly remove oil pump. I,m asking this because i dont have no informations/ shop manuals and it seems to me like there is no enough space to screw out oil pump bolts and to remove pump without first removing cylinder head. Before i try to do anything i would like to hear advice from you guys.Thanks in advance.

There is nothing with oil pump but i have possible problem with cooling water relief valve. One of valve cover bolt is badly corroded ( bolt head is corroded and wasted so i can't put wrench, i have to apply tool for wasted bolt head) and i want to replace it and to do that i have to make some space ie to remove oil pump so i have access to bolt head. If i have to remove cylinder head to remove oil pump so i can remove valve cover bolt, it will cost me plenty of money and time consuming i will not mention.

I can't visualize what you have going on, so wondering if it might be possible to get something like a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel in there to allow you to cut the head of the bolt off? That should allow you to get the valve cover off, and allow the bolt to be removed with vice grips?

I don't think you CAN remove the cylinder head without first removing the valve cover.

Alan is right...

...you can either cut the bolt head off or you might try just cutting a slot in it to fit a screwdriver blade to twist the bolt out.

Another option would be to use a chisel or punch and hammer to contact the edge and slowly rotate it out that way.

There is a product I use for stuff like this called RESCUE BIT. It works very well for
"digging out" bolts that are broken off in a tight place.

It's a fairly expensive piece of hardware that you absolutely MUST follow the directions from the company or you will quickly ruin the bit and just waste your money.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I can't visualize what you have going on, so wondering if it might be possible to get something like a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel in there to allow you to cut the head of the bolt off? That should allow you to get the valve cover off, and allow the bolt to be removed with vice grips?

No, it is impossiple to approach with Dremel tool. Take a look on this video https://youtu.be/2Wr18cuyq2M .It is same motor as mine . From 26:28 minutes it is about cooling water pressure relief valve and how to remove it but the author of video doesnt have issue with corroded bolt so itis quite simple to remove it. Also you will have a clue with what i'm dealing and what a pain in a.. this is.

Ok, I watched the video. I know FOR A FACT that I could easily get in there with MY Dremel tool.

And I'm not even talking about the skinny pencil one I have. I'm saying that the the little conventional Dremel will sneak in there easily. Have you even tried doing that??

It will be a bit hard to see what you're doing and it will take a steady hand for sure but I think you can do it if you try.

What are your options?

Not many.

I also think that I could "drift" that bolt around with a long chisel and hammer.

Or, you could do what you're saying.....remove the head....I guess.

But I think I would just destroy the valve housing to get it out before I would take the cylinder head off. And I would sure as heck use the Dremel for doing THAT.

But...that's just me.

Good luck

Ok, I watched the video. I know FOR A FACT that I could easily get in there with MY Dremel tool.

And I'm not even talking about the skinny pencil one I have. I'm saying that the the little conventional Dremel will sneak in there easily. Have you even tried doing that??

It will be a bit hard to see what you're doing and it will take a steady hand for sure but I think you can do it if you try.

What are your options?

Not many.

I also think that I could "drift" that bolt around with a long chisel and hammer.

Or, you could do what you're saying.....remove the head....I guess.

But I think I would just destroy the valve housing to get it out before I would take the cylinder head off. And I would sure as heck use the Dremel for doing THAT.

But...that's just me.

Good luck
I'm aware i dont have too much options and most acceptable option for me would be to remove oil pump from cylinder head to get more space to valve cover bolt head. But as i mention before i dont have Honda shop manuals ( here in Europe only service shops have it, and it is impossible to order it) and i,m not sure is it possible to remove oil pump without removing cylinder head and i,m not going to try it without instruction because if something goes wrong ( oil pump gasket leaking) then i will have to remove cylinder head and that means take complete engine to Honda service shop-bloodsuckers.

Well, you didn't answer my question.

Have you TRIED seeing if you could fit a Dremel tool in there?

I have emailed Honda Marine Publications and asked them if they ship shop manuals to Europe. When they answer, I will let you know.

But I'm guessing that, if you look around on the web, you could probably find a digital manual for your outboard for MUCH less $$$.

Other than that, you wouldn't even consider spending $30 U.S. for a new relief valve cover???
(Item #9 in the link below)

I know that boats.net ships to Europe.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...e/90hp/bf90dk5-lrta-2007-and-later/mount-case

Well, you didn't answer my question.

Have you TRIED seeing if you could fit a Dremel tool in there?

I have emailed Honda Marine Publications and asked them if they ship shop manuals to Europe. When they answer, I will let you know.

But I'm guessing that, if you look around on the web, you could probably find a digital manual for your outboard for MUCH less $$$.

Other than that, you wouldn't even consider spending $30 U.S. for a new relief valve cover???
(Item #9 in the link below)

I know that boats.net ships to Europe.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...e/90hp/bf90dk5-lrta-2007-and-later/mount-case
No i din' t try to use Dremel tools and also i didnt even consider to brake cover. I contacted Honda representative for Croatia regarding shops/ service manuals and i got answer that they send manuals only to authorised Honda sevice shops, America is different story, you can get service manuals for 126$ but i,m not sure are they shipping manuals to Europe. I have feeling that Honda for American market and costumers is allowing DIY approach , but for European market if you have problem please go to authorised service shop and that is it.

Last edited:
Impossible to get a manual? Maybe get a little creative? Have you considered buying one on E-bay?

This is sounding more like a case of lack-a-wanna, or woe is me, rather than somebody seriously looking for options to get this done....

I'm not saying break the cover, but you aren't comfortable trying to cut on the bolt, you could surely cut the "ear" of the cover off that the bolt holds down with a Dremel wheel.

You could then get the cover out of the way and that should make it easy to grasp the bolt with some long nose or pointed nose Vice Grip pliers.

I would start squirting a penetrant, or whatever you guys use over there as.a release agent, on the bolt asap so that it can work down in the threads to help loosen it up.

If you get it out, then a new cover, bolt and gasket/seal will fix you right up!

Of course, you will need to be EXTREMELY careful with the Dremel so as not to damage the flange the cover sits on. I suggest that you cut the cover down and stop before going through. Then try getting a screwdriver tip or wedge like a small chisel and gently work it under the other bolt "ear" to try to get the cut you made crack off.

Always keep in mind that the Dremel wheel is cutting it's deepest in the middle of the radius...a place you can't easily see. So go very slowly and check the cut often so as not to damage your case.

I really think you can do this but you won't know unless you try.

As far as Honda possibly shipping you a manual, I guess we will find out IF they answer my email. I will let you know when they respond.

Impossible to get a manual? Maybe get a little creative? Have you considered buying one on E-bay?

This is sounding more like a case of lack-a-wanna, or woe is me, rather than somebody seriously looking for options to get this done....
Alen ( i will be direct and polite ) i didnt ask you to teach me how to get manual, i was asking advice from comunity did somebody removed oil pump from cylinder cover without removing cylinder head first. This is only what i need to know, because four stud bolts are holding oil pump to cylinder head but i,m not sure can i completly uscrew pump stud bolts and pull out and i dont want to try it without proper information. If i cant remove pump, second solution will be obtaining shop manual and removing cylinder head. By the way i,m 1st Engineer on LNG tanker and from my expirience, cutting of studs or chiseling and cover breaking is last act of desperate attempt to solve the thing and can only lead to more serious troubles ( broken steel bolt in aluminium casing is really pain in the ass) and definitely i dont want to solve the issue on that way.

I'm not saying break the cover, but you aren't comfortable trying to cut on the bolt, you could surely cut the "ear" of the cover off that the bolt holds down with a Dremel wheel.

You could then get the cover out of the way and that should make it easy to grasp the bolt with some long nose or pointed nose Vice Grip pliers.

I would start squirting a penetrant, or whatever you guys use over there as.a release agent, on the bolt asap so that it can work down in the threads to help loosen it up.

If you get it out, then a new cover, bolt and gasket/seal will fix you right up!

Of course, you will need to be EXTREMELY careful with the Dremel so as not to damage the flange the cover sits on. I suggest that you cut the cover down and stop before going through. Then try getting a screwdriver tip or wedge like a small chisel and gently work it under the other bolt "ear" to try to get the cut you made crack off.

Always keep in mind that the Dremel wheel is cutting it's deepest in the middle of the radius...a place you can't easily see. So go very slowly and check the cut often so as not to damage your case.

I really think you can do this but you won't know unless you try.

As far as Honda possibly shipping you a manual, I guess we will find out IF they answer my email. I will let you know when they respond.
Thank you very much in advance for email and help.

Back