Logo

Need Help: Mariner made by Yamaha

DualDog

I just bought a 1990 Lund with a 30 HP Mariner which from what I am gathering was made by Yamaha. Tag on motor says Model "MARINER 30EL0" Code "689 L" Serial "422782"

I am needing a water pump kit and a carb kit I believe. Everything I look up shows Mercury Mariner and says my serial number is supposed to be 7 or 8 digits. Mine just has 6 and appears to be made by Yamaha and nor Mercury. It appears these Japan built Mariners that were made by Yamaha and a bear to look up parts for.

I think the motor is a 1989 put on a 1990 boat. Does anybody know the identical Yamaha motor model number and year range I can possibly cross reference to get parts or a parts distributor where I can put in my model and serial number to look up parts.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm starting to wonder if I should have bought this boat since getting parts may be an issue.

Looks to be the equivalent of a 1990 Yamaha model CV30ELD.

Like anything, finding information is only a bear when one does not know how to go about it. That holds true for most everything.

I just posted a thread regarding a water pump on what is probably a similar ( if not identical) motor. If you have a 3 bolt water pump you probably need Yamaha 689-w0078-a6. If you have a single carb you could probably use c30elrq for your carb kit(or any c motor of that vintage (c30's are listed in the 25p section)) Be sure to take heed of others chiming in as I am a novice with Yamaha motors at this point.

Last edited:
By the way.. It seems the C30 Yamaha motors were the 2 cylinder models. Mine is a c30elrq. e being electric start, L being long (20" shaft --all c's were 20 anyway), not sure about the r and q. I believe the r is 1992 so yours would probably have a p instead of an R?

Last edited:
By the way.. It seems the C30 Yamaha motors were the 2 cylinder models. Mine is a c30elrq. e being electric start, L being long (20" shaft --all c's were 20 anyway), not sure about the r and q. I believe the r is 1992 so yours would probably have a p instead of an R?
It is more than seems.

I actually bought this on a boat without seeing it running. Previous owner said it wouldn't stay running and thought carb needed rebuilt. I got back to the motor and put some water muffs on if with some fresh fuel. It seems to starts and idle fine. It was not pumping water. I took the muffs off and put a water tub under it that goes up to just above the cavitation plate. Water is not coming out up top from where most motors have the pee stream or tail tell. No water is coming from the rear where exhaust exits but some is spitting slightly on what I would call the front. Opposite side of the exhaust. I only ran it for about 15-20 seconds and shut it down a couple times. I ordered a water pump kit and going to try to install that. I've only changed a water pump on smaller OMC Johnson/Evinrude motors before. This looks like it may be a little different.

I actually bought this on a boat without seeing it running. Previous owner said it wouldn't stay running and thought carb needed rebuilt. I got back to the motor and put some water muffs on if with some fresh fuel. It seems to starts and idle fine. It was not pumping water. I took the muffs off and put a water tub under it that goes up to just above the cavitation plate. Water is not coming out up top from where most motors have the pee stream or tail tell. No water is coming from the rear where exhaust exits but some is spitting slightly on what I would call the front. Opposite side of the exhaust. I only ran it for about 15-20 seconds and shut it down a couple times. I ordered a water pump kit and going to try to install that. I've only changed a water pump on smaller OMC Johnson/Evinrude motors before. This looks like it may be a little different.
The anti-ventilation plate is well below the water pump. The pump needs to be submerged to work effectively. Once wet it might pull water up to it but I would not count on it. I suspect that you need a new pump. Then try it with water well up the mid-section.

I put in a new Yamaha OEM water pump kit. I put a tub of water under motor which was about 2 inches above the plate and filled it completely with water. I attached water muffs to the leg of the motor that was was in the water filled tub tub. I turned on the hose attached to the muffs. I was only still getting some spitting of water out the front side of the motor in same area opposite side of exhaust. Nothing coming out of pee hole. I was getting frustrated. I took it to the lake and put the back end of the boat in the water up to about the exhaust outlet. Started motor and it is pumping from the pee hole at head of the motor as well as the exhaust. Exhaust isn't showing much but water is coming out spitting. As I rev motor up it quits coming out the pee hole until you idle again.

My question now is this normal for water to stop coming out f pee hole when motor is revved up. I am concerned maybe I messed up new impeller when I started it in barrel and it initially was not pumping properly. I did lube the impeller cup lightly when I installed the new cup.

Back