Logo

1996 75hp Force Starting Issues

paduckhunter44

I have a 96 75hp force that will only start on 2 cylinders (1 and 2). It will not start with the plug inside the head on cylinder 3, as soon as I pull it out it fires up. I replaced all 3 plugs last summer, and the ignition coil on cylinders 2 & 3. Once it starts, I can put the plug back in and it runs fine. Any advise would be appreciated.

Please take note (as I've noticed on other forum pages that people confuse the 75 and 85) it only has 1 carburetor not 3.

Thanks in advance!

This is a new one for me!!
Have you done a compression test.

Like I said this is a new one for me???
Good luck,try these other forums?
Have you tried iboatsdotnet that's
another repair forum.
Also Mastertech Marine.
https://maxrules.com/ChryslerModels/chrysmodelindex.html

I have not done a compression test yet, I spoke with someone about a new used engine and they said that force is notorious for slipping a ring and messing up that way and the only way to find out is to do a compression test. I just haven't done it yet

Unfortunately your Force is one of the ones that
has a few more problems than the normal Force.
Something about the one carb feeding 3 cyl. poor
design and failure of the top cylinder.
Add a couple ounces of oil more when mixing gas.

I've had Forces for 25+ years and found them just
as reliable as any Yamaha or Mercury.
Let me know about the compression test.

Unfortunately your Force is one of the ones that
has a few more problems than the normal Force.
Something about the one carb feeding 3 cyl. poor
design and failure of the top cylinder.
Add a couple ounces of oil more when mixing gas.

I've had Forces for 25+ years and found them just
as reliable as any Yamaha or Mercury.
Let me know about the compression test.

I have come to the conclusion that cylinder 3 is dead without doing a compression test. I pulled the plug out, put my thumb over the whole, and had my buddy crank the engine. That being said it should have either tried sucking my thumb in or pushing it out. It did neither one of the 2. So that engine is shot for the most part. Luckily, I just bought another boat yesterday with a 115hp evinrude on it, so I'll use my other boat just with the 9.9 on it as my small local lake boat, and the big boat for the big lake

Back