Logo

Yamaha F20 ESR won't start after tune-up

supagruv

Hello everyone! We recently purchased a 2008 Yamaha F20 ESR (short shaft electric start) for a small RIB/inflatable we are restoring. I did the usual tune-up (new plugs, oil change, lower unit gear oil change, impeller/water pump change, thermostat checkup and clean, fuel line/filter check/clean) and things looked dirtier than expected but passable. It wouldn't start though. So I figured most likely a fuel issue and cleaned the carb (it was the dirtiest carb I've ever seen). Still no luck unless I tried a little starting fluid, then it would start but only for a second. I then opened the fuel pump and it was stuck with caked on grit/sand. I cleaned it but that didn't help. I replaced the fuel pump with a new one and still no luck. I have now pulled the carb two more times and cleaned more and more and again and again. Still no luck, it cranks easy but never turns over and I know not to keep trying starting fluid.

The main jet screw won't budget and the head is starting to strip so I wasn't able to pull that and clean it. But the pinhole is clear and free so I figured that might be ok?

I read on the forums that the prime starter assembly can go bad and cause hard starts. I pulled that and noticed that the plastic housing is supposed to push a spring down and part of that housing is broken but it still looked like it would function holding the spring. Hard to know if that's working or not. I read that someone said they removed it and plugged that hole and it made the motor start... thinking maybe try that next? Part of me thinks that most likely the carb was just too dirty and it probably needs a new one but I'm trying to avoid spending that kind of $$... $400+ to still not be sure of the issue.

One thing I've noticed is that in trying to start past kicker motors when I pull the start rope or the start button, one of those two lights will flicker on the motor for a second or two. I'm thinking that's the oil pressure light... but on this motor no lights flicker at all. Is that a sign of something else? Maybe a bad sensor or something? Maybe the kill switch is bad? But it did start with starting fluid which makes me still think fuel issue.

I've pulled the spark plugs and they still look like new. Which again makes me think fuel is not getting through to create the spark.

I purchased the manual and followed various steps but nothing strikes me as the simple solution. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Ok so I installed a new carb and it still didn't want to start... I sprayed a little starting fluid and boom it starts right up. The issue now is that you have to keep the throttle revving or it will die out. But it will keep restarting and revv's high and feels strong... The spark plugs look like they are firing (not fouled) and there aren't any signs of other issues that I can tell. I've been putting some seafoam through the system but nothing seems to help so far.

Again, clean fuel lines. New fuel pump and carb. Using new e-free fuel from a new small jug. Shot pressurized air through all water passageways (thermostat, etc). Tell-tale pushes water through nicely. New impeller/water pump.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Yamaha F20 ESR won't start after tune-up (SOLVED)

Good news! Got it running smoothly with a second new carburetor. The first one must have had an issue.

Anyway, we're back in action... next step is to get it mounted on our 11' RIB and get out in the ocean and do some fishin'. :) Thanks for all your suggestions and advice.

Re: Yamaha F20 ESR won't start after tune-up (SOLVED)

Welcome to the forum. Sorry, I saw this post just now. I might have suggested it HAD to be the carb. I'm thinking your first "new" carb might have been bounced around too much before you got it. Thanks for finalizing with the solution. Not sure if this one has an accelerator pump, but for MY Yamaha, I pump the throttle several times while in forward gear in order to prime it after trailering or storage. Then put in neutral and it starts right up. I pump (operate) throttle while in forward, because it gives the accelerator pump a full stroke. Make sure to avoid any ethanol fuel....which is what most likely caused your problem from the start. If you're not at a retailer with a dedicated ethanol free pump hose be sure to pump the first gallon into your car or truck before you fill your outboard tanks..... Unless of course the previous purchase was also ethanol free. Just do the math on the pump from the previous customer. Take care.

Last edited:
Back