Logo

Looking to add power steering

Hey y'all, I'm wanting to add power steering to my 1985 Bayliner Ciera 2750. Has a GM 5.7 vortec with a VP280 behind it. Does any one know which actuator I would need, part #? Which bracket if any? Can I use a GM PS pump? Pretty sure besides the hoses and maybe a cooler, that's all I will need.
I've attached a pic of current steering setup to help.

Thanks in advance for any input,
Richard

View album “Recents”.jpg

Ayuh,..... Considerin' it's been Ok for 36 years, I gotta ask, Why,..??

If it steers hard, chances are the cable, 'n/ or helm are worn out,.....

The GM P/S pump is the same, but the pressure regulator valve is different,....

Ayuh,..... Considerin' it's been Ok for 36 years, I gotta ask, Why,..??

I've always had PS in my boats, just used to it I guess. Also, the wife won't drive it without.

If it steers hard, chances are the cable, 'n/ or helm are worn out,.....

Steering isn't stiff or sticky, just not assisted.

The GM P/S pump is the same, but the pressure regulator valve is different,....

By pressure regulator valve, do you mean the actuator/steering cylinder?

A power steering pump from a car has about 1800 psi. Too much for the steering cylinder on the drive. You need a pump with a much lower working pressure, so look for a marine pump off an OMC, Mercruiser or VP. Otherwise it seems possible.
HOWEVER
If you're going to all the bother of updating the system to power assist, why not go all the way and chuck that all for hydraulic steering? It'll give you pinky finger lightness, better control, less maintenance, and higher resale value. If you look in eBay Motors>boat parts and do searches under hydraulic and limit the search to used, you can find helms and steering cylinders fairly inexpensive. They don't really wear out, so you're pretty safe buying a used Teleflex/seastar helm and cylinder. Hose is just your standard issue nylon, which is available cheap from McMaster Carr

What o2batsea sed... My 5.7 MIE running thru a 280 drive with standard push/pull cable steering steers quite easily... would not spend $50 to upgrade the OEM system... Just my opinion...

Back