Logo

4.3 MPI Single Point Drain Issue

77vetter

Got a new to me 2005 SeaRay with a 4.3MPI. Last fall I was winterizing it for the first time. I opened the single point drain and let it drain and then saw there was a blue drain plug right above where the drainhose was so I opened that as well and let it drain (nothing really came out of that). I closed the single point drain and replaced the blue drain plug above the drain hose housing. I then hooked up the ear muffs and began pumping in the pink antifreeze and thats when I noticed there was a drip coming from the blue drain plug above the drain hose. I tightened it as tight as I could but couldnt get it to stop.

I went to the boat shop and picked up a new blue drain plug and replaced it but it still was dripping. I took a round wire brush and removed the new drain plug and cleaned out the hole and checked the plug to make sure it was good and replaced it but still was dripping.

Called the boat shop today and they said they are 8 weeks out before they can look at it. Any ideas why it is leaking and how to stop it?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... Is the o-ring there, 'n in good shape,..??

Is the fittin' it screws into cracked or broken,..??

Can you provide a video/pictures of how to drain the block if the single point drain doesnt drain that? All the videos I watched only did the single point drain and then pumped in marine anti-freeze so wasnt aware there were other ports to drain? None of the videos showed that so would be good to know what/where you are talking about

Can you provide a video/pictures of how to drain the block if the single point drain doesnt drain that? All the videos I watched only did the single point drain and then pumped in marine anti-freeze so wasnt aware there were other ports to drain? None of the videos showed that so would be good to know what/where you are talking about

The single point drain in theory drains evrything from that location. In practice what is seen that debris and sand tend to plug the small hoses that go from the ball shaped housing to all the drain points on the block and exhaust manifolds. This can lead to water getting left in there. My older 5.0 has 5 plusg one on each oil pan rail, on under each exhaust manifold, and one on the U shaped h recirc hose on the circulation pump. While this requires you to get at more plugs you can see exactly how much come sout of each port and probe the ports to make sure they are clear. Where your small drain hoses go into the 4-5 plces on block etc there are quick disconnects some professional mechanics on thsi site recccomend removing them to ensure complete drainage and no blockage, which makes the single point drain pretty useless.

You probably have a crack in that plastic housing or nick in the sealing surface that is why its leaking. I think BT dr rigged up a replacement out of copper sweat fittings vs paying $300 for a piece of plastic.

If it's that gray round piece of plastic that had 3 hoses hooked to it. It's frozen at one point , and is cracked. It splits rite where blue drain plug screws in. No fix , it needs replaced. And it's not cheap.

Back