Logo

Honda outboard not peeing

pgshields

Hey guys, moving onto the next thread. We have gotten the Honda BF50A cranked and idles fine. Now we are having a issue with it not peeing. I know the "mechanic" said he had just changed out the water pump. Well anyway since I now am double checking a lot of things I noticed the water was not going up to the motor at all. I cut the motor off and pulled the lower unit.
Attached is the video of it running without peeing.

Attached also are the photos of the water pump with the broken rubber gasket.

Thanks for the help guys!

Attachments

• Lower unit water pump broken seal.jpg
    Lower unit water pump broken seal.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 47
  • impeller.jpg
    impeller.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 35
That gasket can be a pain to hold until fastened down. I generally use some sort of grease in the slot, then push the gasket/o-ring into it to hold it there.

While you have it apart, pour some water into the hole below the t-stat. to confirm the pipe between the motor and pump isn't blocked somehow.

To clear the pee hole, blow some air or force some water through it backwards. When it clears, you may have to repeat several times to clear it completely, so don't put everything away at first.

Last edited:
While I’ve had it apart I’ve been doing a few test. I did the water down the thermostat a lot and went straight down to pipe. Can’t get anything to come out of pee hole. I’ve taken pee tube and connector off and can’t find any debris/obstacle. Is it normal to not have any peeing from pouring down thermostat slot? Also connected to flush hole to see if I could get any water to go up hole and had no luck.

Before the water gets to the fitting on the side of the block, it needs to go across a passage that leads from the galley from the pump to the t'stat. It goes all the way from one side to the other, with a couple of sharp bends that eliminate any chance of getting a piece of wire or anything through it. This passage will often fill with sand, making it pretty difficult to remove.

You might try removing the fitting on the side of the block. Your issue could be right there.

I use compressed air to clear this passage. As mentioned, sometimes it will take several tries. A fair degree of patience required.....

Before the water gets to the fitting on the side of the block, it needs to go across a passage that leads from the galley from the pump to the t'stat. It goes all the way from one side to the other, with a couple of sharp bends that eliminate any chance of getting a piece of wire or anything through it. This passage will often fill with sand, making it pretty difficult to remove.

You might try removing the fitting on the side of the block. Your issue could be right there.

I use compressed air to clear this passage. As mentioned, sometimes it will take several tries. A fair degree of patience required.....

When you talk about the fitting are you talking about the one that has a nipple fitting on it that the hose goes to? I have removed it and it is clear.

Yes - "the one that has a nipple fitting on it that the hose goes to"

Clear? Referring to the fitting itself, or the area inside of the block where the fitting fits?

I would suggest not replacing that fitting until you see a nice strong flow coming from the side of the block. The small hole in the fitting may be restrictive when it comes to some of the chunks that need to pass....

Yes, it's going to flood that area for sure, but it shouldn't hurt a thing.

Put it back together and run it in a trashcan full of water with the pee fitting removed from the block. My experience is that is the most reliable way of clearing blockage from the tell-tale bypass passage. More effective than wire, trimmer line or even compressed air in my opinion.

Good luck.

P.S. it WILL get wet and messy when the blockage clears so WATCH OUT!

Last edited:
Well guys I know everyone has been waiting to hear the results. The new water pump came in, installed it and still nothing. I noticed the top of the new water pump housing had a good half circular cut on the top of it. I noticed when I was tightening bolts on foot it was tough. Anyway took it off and the pipe/tube that goes from top into water pump was not as round as it should be. Got some pliers and rounded it off and works like a champ. Now to see if we are still having the bogging down issues at WOT tomorrow! Thanks for the help!

Back