Logo

lower unit housing Honda 45

Turbodog67

Yesterday, I hit a rock(s) at 4 mph and broke the lower unit housing, skeg, and two blades on my aluminum prop. I was able to motor to the ramp at 3 mph with only minor vibrations. Should I replace the whole unit or buy just the housing? Or just what is my first step? Turbodog

Where I'm at here on the FL Gulf coast, we have some pretty darn good welders that can fix a torn up lower units pretty good for a pretty fair price. I'm here to tell you that happens frequently!

Without knowing more about the specifics regarding the damage on yours, it's hard to be of much help without seeing a few pics.

If it's not too bad, I'd get it welded. If it's pretty serious, I'd track down a used one.

The prop is a gonner. Solas replacements are 100 or maybe just a little higher. Make sure to get the size off of the original before tossing it!

Last edited:
Lower Unit 2.jpg As you can see I lost most of the housing, not much to weld! Should I buy just the housing and use the old internal parts, or look for a new lower unit? The prop blades are just bent, buy may crack if I try to straighten them.

Yup, that one is a goner.....

A new housing is going to be expensive and will require some new bearings, making them pretty expensive as compared to a used lower unit. Used lowers can be had from 400 to 700 or so. Ebay is an easy source, especially when you can purchase from somebody hundreds of miles from salt water.

Thankfully there's a ton of interchangeability. 35-50hp Honda's are all the same as long as it's off an engine w/carbs.

Watch for cracks on either side of the area missing on yours, and be cautious of welds in the same area. These things are notorious for splitting their cases (problem NOT unique to Honda either). What happens is corrosion builds up between that threaded ring and the case, as well as the part of the bearing carrier just ahead of it and the case. Eventually the corrosion will build to the point it will split the case. They can be welded to repair at that point, but to do them right, they need to be pulled right down and done correctly.

Some will order a welder to just fill the crack - leaving the corrosion in place. Those are bad news as it's going to split again soon.

Done correctly, they will have a new retainer ring at minimum. If you don't see one of those, it's likely been hacked. RARELY can they be used over again for reassembly.

Back