Logo

1979 140 hp hard to start cold

Swagonmaster

Regular Contributor
Ok, I'm going to have to ask for some help on this starting problem of mine. I have a '79 140 horse straight 6 engine that is outfitted like an '80 model, has single float on the side carbs and individual coils. The engine has good compression (I had to rebuild it), the carbs have been rebuilt and the float level checkec twice, new plugs, timing checked and everything I can think of to do and the aggravating thing won't start at launch unless I spray it with starting fluid. I have a fairly high tolerance for it but my wife on the other hand thinks it's going to break down on the lake if it won't even start (and she is usually the one trying to start it since she is the one that backs it off of the trailer and getting frustrated). I have the same issue at the house with it on the muffs so I don't think it's her fault. Anyway, it would be real nice if we could just start this beast up and head out fishing instead of sitting at the dock getting angry so any advice would be welcome.

One other symptom, the idle speed won't go down below about 1k, makes for a rather noisey gear engagement and may or may not be part of the starting thing.

I know that compression is king on a 2 stroke so I was curious what mine had cold and tested the engine. All of the cylinders were at 125 psi give or take 3 so good enough I would think.

I have new crank seals and I checked the reeds when I had the engine apart so should be good there. I hate to spend more money on this thing right now but the electric primer might be the ticket.

Bad reed valves would stall the motor.-----Look into adjusting the idle stop screw to slow it down.----That electric primer can be installed with it spraying fuel right at or before the intake ports.----Just magic.

Back