Logo

Water pump repair and now rough going into reverse.

Jprimmcps21

I just installed a new impeller, cup, plate, and gasket on my 97 Nissan 25c2. It was shifting into reverse fine b4 I took the lower unit off and now it’s a little rough going into reverse. Any suggestions to get it shifting smooth again. Also it shifts into other gears just fine.

thanks,

You did not mention model. On the 4 stk 9.8A3, there is no real adjustment. Describe the shifting issue...

You did not mention model. On the 4 stk 9.8A3, there is no real adjustment. Describe the shifting issue...

No mine is a 25hp NS25C2....it shifts fine into all gears except for reverse. It will shift into reverse but sounds like it’s grinding going in. It was fine going into reverse before I took the lower unit off to change the water pump.....

Are you shifting briskly?

no. It makes a knocking noise going in whether I do it fast or slow. Once it’s in gear it sounds and runs fine. Obviously I got something out of adjustment when I took the lower unit off to put the water pump in. I am just trying to figure out how to adjust it back.

That's a very obsolete model. No real adjustment. Of course, you must shift briskly. If it chatters going in, shift faster.

Back