Logo

Motor choice help for my new boat

SaltyScot

Regular Contributor
Hello all. I just bought a 69 Glasspar 15' Avalon in great shape with a nice top on it. Max hp is 85. I'm looking at a 1975 Evinrude 70hp and an 72 Rude 85 to power it. Any noticeable difference in performance for my boat? Specifically top speed. Looks like they both use the same prop and the 85 weighs in at 30lbs more. Any known issues with either engine? Thanks.

Stephen

The 85 HP has a complicated ,battery powered ignition system.----And has electric shift that some folks do not like.-------The 70 HP might be a better choice.------And it all depends on whether you do your own work or have to rely on a shop.

The 85 HP has a complicated ,battery powered ignition system.----And has electric shift that some folks do not like.-------The 70 HP might be a better choice.------And it all depends on whether you do your own work or have to rely on a shop.

I do my own work. Albeit usually with help from yourself, Quicksilver, timguy, or others:). As a security blanket, i usually make it a point to have a parts motor of whatever motor I have. And the guy with the 85 is willing to include a parts motor with it. I think he's a retired boat mechanic with a small collection of outboards. Sounds like the type of seller i want to buy from. But he's over 2 hours away whereas the 70 is fairly local.

Well, i just finished putting my Merc 50 on there this morning and I'll see how it does with that today. I doubt it will get me to 30 though.

If you can find a 1986 or newer 60 it has the same power as the earlier 70 HP motors. Better yet get a 1986 or later 70 HP. OMC made a change in how they rated HP....early ones were rated at the powerhead and later ones were rated at prop.

If you can find a 1986 or newer 60 it has the same power as the earlier 70 HP motors. Better yet get a 1986 or later 70 HP. OMC made a change in how they rated HP....early ones were rated at the powerhead and later ones were rated at prop.

Thanks, but I think I'm a long ways from affording anything 80s and up.:D

I went with the 85 Evinrude(s) from 1972. One is good and ready to go, and he threw the other one in for nothing. He says it just needs the amplifier replaced. Of course, that's a spendy part so it will probably just end up being a parts motor. The guy had over a dozen outboards in and around his garage. I'm up to six!:rolleyes: He has a pair of Mercury 40s that I may go back for in a couple weeks. I like having old motors in pairs for the sake of finding parts.

Back