Logo

Cooling issues

tgeers

I have a 1965 9.8 Hp Mercury 110. I've had Evinrudes in the past and I know more about them than this Mercury. There does not seem to be any water coming out of the housing above the lower unit. I checked and replaced the impeller and it turns smoothly when the prop is turned But I don't think water is being carried up to water tube. After starting in water, the motor becomes hot and within a few minutes wants to shut off. I'm afraid to start it anymore for fear of breaking something. I've had this motor for a short while so I really know very little else about it. I hope someone can help me.

Welcome. Please don't overheat it, be careful, it can overheat in as little as 2 to 3 minutes. Make sure the water level in your barrel or tub is at least 4" above the impeller level.

There's a rubber seal at the top of the copper water tube to the PH that may be leaking. Also (assuming you changed the impeller) are you positive you got the water tube into the LU when you put it back together?

Jeff

Thank you Timguy and Jeff for your replies. I have taken great care in returning the copper tube into the LU. It was a pain, and it took several tries, but I made it. My other problem with a motor I'm not familiar with is I see no place where the water should come out at the top. I've watched a lot of videos, but my motor does not have a rubber hose that fits over or around the engine block. Is it possible water flows out through the same port as the exhaust? I believe there is a blockage somewhere between the copper tube and where the water exits. But without knowing where it is suppose to exit has brought me to this forum seeking your knowledgeable advice. Thank you all again.

Problem solved. There was something clogging the line between the copper tube and the "pee-hole". I took a piece of plastic tubing attached it to the copper tube and my water hose. That flushed it out. Again, thank you all for you help. Here's a painful irony. The previous owner painted the motor and covered everything, including labels. Therefore I did not see the drain plug. After finding it, the water flowed freely through the "pee-hole. The irony is, I'm currently fighting off an urinary track infection and trying to fix my "pee-hole" issue myself. I wonder if there is a forum for that?

Back