Logo

1994 merc 125 - no Spark

Seanfish

I am not sure which two cylinders fire for idle (its a 2+2 motor), but appears I have no spark on all 4.

I am assuming that I have a wiring issue somewhere and here is why.

Previously had a 1985 70hp evinrude, just swapped to this motor, and we ran my buddies boat the day before he pulled this motor off of it. I know it runs unless somewhere, something happened between pulling from his boat and moving to mine the following day. (unlikely)

Wiring harness to keyswitch looks like a birdsnest. My intention was to get it wired up and running, then disconnect battery and redo the entire electrical birds nest because neat wires are much easier to trace, and diagnose issues with.

I have power as starter works, t/t works.

Spark tester shows no spark on all 4. Confirmed spark tester works via lawn mower. I know I need new plugs, the end goal here is to get it running, then do annual maintenance.

I am guessing it is kill switch which I did not connect at the helm, so I will eliminate that at the engine side first and report back. I just don't know where to go after that if that's NOT it.

The manual for the '94 thru '05 engines shows an 8 pin engine connector. Colors and functions are:

1. Blk/Yel stripe: (input) Engine kill to trigger modules...ground with Remote Control ignition switch in the Off positon
2. Purple: (input) Switched 12v.....Remote control ignition switch in On or Start positions sends out battery voltage for functions.
3. Tan/Blue stripe: (output) Sends ground to remote warning horn for overheat and if module is in engine, 101010 for low oil in tank, otherwise ground for low oil also.
4. Black: (output) Sends battery ground to control box for engine kill function.
5. Grey: (output) Tach output signal.
6. Yel/Blk stripe: (input) Receives 12v from control box to energize fuel enrichment for starting...on Commander 2000 and 3000 Controls, pushing in on the key, in the On/Start positions activate output from control box.
7. Yel/Red stripe: (input) 12v input from control box when ignition switch is in the Start position.
8. Center pin Red: (output) 12v battery output to control box

I got it going

Just old crappy fuel, plus plugs that need to be changed out.
add in my spark tester eyeballs this morning didn’t quite know what they were looking for (my 5yr old was helping) and I was thinking I had no spark.

cant keep it running with crap fuel and new(er) fuel but that’s a super easy fix.

the amount of knowledge on this board is truly amazing and I’ve learned a ton simply by reading here. To those techs that post here, thank you

The 2+2 operation works like this it idles on the top 2 cylinders but all 4 plugs fire. The 2+2 operation is controlled by the carbs the top 2 have idle circuits. The bottom 2 do not have idle circuits just a small hole that allows just enough fuel mix to lube the cylinder. The bottom 2 carbs start working at around 1800 rpm when t throttle is advanced far enough.

Back