Logo

manifold and riser maintenance

kingsfisherman

Contributing Member
[FONT=&quot]has anyone ever soaked ( muriatic acid, vinegar solution, etc.) their manifolds and risers to remove the rust from inside the passages?[/FONT]

Muriatic acid works well. I would consider cleaning up the manifolds with it.

The risers and elbows are maintenance items, with a finite service life, especially in salt water...that mixed with the exhaust (corrosives and heat) break down the cast iron in a few years...so there really isn't benefit to trying to clean them out...

Per makomark, those are maintenance parts and need to be replaced. I replace my (volvo) risers and manifolds every 5 years as I boat in saltwater. The last thing I want is for one of them to corrode from the inside and let water into the cylinders. That will be a very costly mistake, not to mention it could leave you stranded on the water under the worst timing.

With NEW raw water cooled manifolds and elbows, routine flushing with fresh water lengthens life... Treating once or twice a season with Saltaway is added insurance. I added a "T" fitting and two valves on the raw water line (typically 1 1/4") between the transom and the raw water pump (or oil cooler).... all parts should be bronze NOT hardware store brass. The shut off valve "Facing" the transom should be a marine grade SS 1/4 turn ball valve.... The valve to the flusher hose can be a gate style ( with garden hose bib).
Strongly resist the urge to buy the commercial mostly plastic flush valve product.

I never use my FWC boat in salt water. Is there anything I can run through the cooling system to flush out the exhaust manifold and elbow? I ask because I had an issue many years ago with back pressure and what seemed to resolve it is the mechanic took the exhaust manifold to a radiator shop and had it boiled out. So, I'm wondering if there is anything I can easily do to make sure that issue does not happen again.

Think you all for the responses, After taking a close look at them I decided to go ahead and replace them. But I think I will add the T for flushing with salt away

Back