Logo

Question about charging system on 1988 Johnson 110

PhilSch

Regular Contributor
I did a stator resistance test checking resistance between the yellow and yellow/grey wires. The factory spec is 6.0 +/- .02 Ohms. I get 7.0 Ohms. Is my stator shot?

I did a stator resistance test checking resistance between the yellow and yellow/grey wires. The factory spec is 6.0 +/- .02 Ohms. I get 7.0 Ohms. Is my stator shot?

a very easy test to see if your stator is working properly is to run the engine and hook a multimeter. If the charging side of the stator is working you should be reading a little over 12 volts when running I believe

So my charging system is not working and I think it is the regulator/rectifier. At a fast idle the battery is at 12.7V, slightly below the voltage before starting. The tach does not work but if I connect the yellow/white wire to the grey tach wire it works properly. Connecting the solid yellow wire to the grey tach wire and the tach does not work. Order a new rectifier/regulator?

I installed a new regulator and the charging system and tach work now. Motor has 2.5 hours on it and runs great!

Back