Logo

MFS-15eefs - tiller to remote conversion - buzzer hack?

dwilkieo

Oops? I ordered The Tohatsu OEM parts to convert my MFS-15EEFS outboard from remote to tiller steering. I was furnished the drag link conversion parts, the shift and throttle conversion parts and the Tohatsu side mount RC. All of these were easy to figure out with a parts diagram and some head scratching. I also received an entire wiring loom for the engine. What? The RC has a Power-Tilt button on the handle and the wiring loom part number indicated it was for a Power-Tilt motor, which I do not have. I returned the wiring loom and sitting down with an exploded parts diagram I traced out the Brown and Black leads for the kill switch and the Red and Green leads for the starter button. Pulling the disconnects (inside the engine cowling) and matching those wires up from the RC gave me a safety kill switch and a completely functional ignition key - off, on and start. Very happy. Then I got brave and connected the Yellow wire from the RC to the yellow wire in the engine cowling and I had a buzzer sounding in the RC. Great -- except it doesn't turn off when I start and run the motor. It just keeps buzzing.

I assumed (oh oh) that the wiring loom that came with the other parts was an error, since it had a part number for the Power-Tilt motor. I have observed that the leads to the oil pressure light in the cowling are light green and white with a red trace. The Yellow lead in the engine wiring loom was capped. There is a white lead also capped. From the RC I have Yellow, Dark Blue, White and Light Green leads that are unused. (other than the Power Tilt pink and sky blue leads that are separate.)

Should I have connected up both the yellow and white leads to make this work? If that's not the issue, is there a hack that I can do to use the signal to the oil pressure light? Anybody have experience with this stuff. It took all of my courage to plug the yellow lead into the yellow wire. I am afraid to experiment further because I know there is an ECU in there somewhere that I will not want to have to replace if I do something wrong.

Love the engine. The EFI is just awesome.

Thanks for any help available.

David Owen

Confusing. If you converted to tiller, you would be deleting the RC box. I assume you are trying to convert TO remote.
White is tach signal. Yellow is tach ground.
Do you have a tachometer with oil light?
Yes, you want the RC cable. If not using the TT button, you don't have to connect those wires. But it sounds like you got the wrong RC box. The correct box for non-TT application is Part #: 3U2B843400. You may have purchased Part #: 3U2B843300 which is for power tilt and electric start.

Confusing. If you converted to tiller, you would be deleting the RC box. I assume you are trying to convert TO remote.
White is tach signal. Yellow is tach ground.
Do you have a tachometer with oil light?
Yes, you want the RC cable. If not using the TT button, you don't have to connect those wires. But it sounds like you got the wrong RC box. The correct box for non-TT application is Part #:3U2B843400. You may have purchased Part #:3U2B843300 which is for power tilt and electric start.

Yes - I wrote it backwards, as you realized. It is Tiller to Remote. I don't have a tach and have no room for one. I guess I did get the wrong remote. I do have electric start, but no power tilt. I've had the RC box too long to return. What are my options? I can live without the buzzer, I suppose.... Can I use the abandonded TT wires to install a warning light on the console?

Thanks for your help..

David

If you review the Factory service manual, you will see a detailed schematic, which can allow you to wire the buzzer correctly. That same trigger can of course light a lamp on the dash.

Back