Logo

Black oily residue in water???

Hedtrpr

Hi all. Need help with my 1977 Evinrude 35. Engine seems to run mostly ok, but when running in my water tank I am getting very oily black globs accumulating in the water and all over the submerged part of engine. The oil in the lower unit seems fine. Is the engine running to rich? Too much 2cyl oil in gas? Thoughts?
Dave

What is your fuel mixed at? I get the same when I run mine in a tank at a 50:1 mix. Some oils burn more clean than others. You said your engine runs "mostly ok". Make sure all your bases are covered as far as tune-ups go, good non-oxy non-alcohol fuel if you have it available. If you can get thr "ok" to be "great".

What is your fuel mixed at? I get the same when I run mine in a tank at a 50:1 mix. Some oils burn more clean than others. You said your engine runs "mostly ok". Make sure all your bases are covered as far as tune-ups go, good non-oxy non-alcohol fuel if you have it available. If you can get thr "ok" to be "great".

Thanks Brupp. Ive heard similar things now and I hope you are right. My gas is old and probably full of aclohol! Ill get the good stuff and try again. :))

I lean towards non-oxy non-alcohol fuel, mostly because sometimes I will burn 3 gallons all summer or 30 gallons. All depends how busy life gets. A fair amout of people run cheap stuff but they use it before it sours. Plus ethanol will absorb water, so your gas could have water in it and you might not know it. I bet even "good" fuel you will still get black stuff floating. Nature of the 2 stroke world thats all. If you suspect water in the lower unit it will be milky.

Back