Logo

Volvo penta 5.7 OSI-E spark plugs

Kajun55

I’m at wits end trying to find the part number for the spark plugs that are applicable to use in a Penta 5.7 OSI-E. I can find every part of the ignition system but need to verify that what is installed is correct. The engine is difficult to start and surges once it starts. The plugs installed look pretty fouled. Any direction with this would be great.

The engine is difficult to start and surges once it starts. The plugs installed look pretty fouled. Any direction with this would be great.

Ayuh,.... Hard startin', surgin', 'n fouled plugs is a fuel induction problem, more so than a spark plug problem,......

SBCs have run AC Delco MR43T plugs since forever,.....
In '96, when Vortec heads came out, they switched to AC MR43LTS, which is 'bout 1/8" longer,.....
Vortec heads have 8 intake bolts, rather than the 12 older heads had,....

I’m not sure what SBCs are that your referring to. I did find a reference that called out AC DELCO Iridium plug 12568387. I replaced the fuel pump and the engine would cut in and out with the alarm sounding. This cleared up after a few minutes and figured it was air in the system. This all started because when docking the boat the engine would shutdown when shifting to reverse at idle? Any directions or suggestions would be appreciated. I’m planning to check for stored faults.

I’m not sure what SBCs are that your referring to. I did find a reference that called out AC DELCO Iridium plug 12568387. I replaced the fuel pump and the engine would cut in and out with the alarm sounding. This cleared up after a few minutes and figured it was air in the system. This all started because when docking the boat the engine would shutdown when shifting to reverse at idle? Any directions or suggestions would be appreciated. I’m planning to check for stored faults.

your 5.7 is a small block chevy (sbc) that volvo marinizes. Depending on the enigine year (before 1996 or 96 and up) it will use one of the two spark plugs mentioned.

You can conclusively tell if it is 96 & up Vortec head by counting the intake bolts

if you are fouling plugs i would check the fuel oversupply issues. Is that fuel injected or carbed ?

your 5.7 is a small block chevy (sbc) that volvo marinizes. Depending on the enigine year (before 1996 or 96 and up) it will use one of the two spark plugs mentioned.

You can conclusively tell if it is 96 & up Vortec head by counting the intake bolts

if you are fouling plugs i would check the fuel oversupply issues. Is that fuel injected or carbed ?

It is a 2006 fuel injected 5.7.

Back