Logo

aq171a engine gaskets

CSJ

So I'm refreshing this aq171a engine before I drop it in place of the aq131a i pulled out. (The 131 has a softball size hole in the side of the block.) I have searched high and low trying to find a simple engine gasket kit for this thing. Everyone has a head gasket kit for it, but I can't for the life of me find a lower engine gasket kit for this engine.
Anybody got an idea for me?
Another thought I had was to use the 171 block and 131 head, and I ternary. I know the 171 is about 50 more hp, but my question here is, would it be worth fabricating a forward mount in the hull to gain the little extra hp?
Thanks in advance for any advice
PS, I currently have around $500 invested in this 1988 18' Beretta Success so I don't think I'll be hurt by throwing a few more $$$ at her

Hi, not sure how much difference is the AQ171a to the AQ171c?
You will probably have to go aftermarket for gaskets etc, such as Orbitrade or Sierra. For instance the sump gasket kit - 876304 for the AQ171c is available from Orbitrade part number : 21304.
There is also a de-coke gasket kit for the AQ171c but that is mainly the head gaskets etc – part number from Orbitrade : 21303.
Good luck.

Thank you for the responses, I was able to find a guy on ebay that had a complete gasket kit for another Penta engine so I reached out to him... He had the 171a kit but didn't have I listed at the time. Wasn't expecting the $200 price tag on it but it is what it is.
I'll get the engine sealed up then move on to installing the forward mount in the hull to support the additional 150# of weight the 171 has over the 131 that was cantilever mounted.

If you have success installing this engine, you may find your drive and/or propeller are not sized correctly.

I'm mating it up to the original 290 that was behind tie 171. I got the motor, outlive and all controls and guages. I got a complete donor boat and removed it all before trashing the hull.

When I overhauled my 151 I used a gasket kit for the B230 Volvo automotive engine. Had all the gaskets and seals I needed for complete strip down and rebuild. Only difference for you will possibly be the valve cover gasket on your DOHC engine, which will need a different gasket.

Back