Logo

Winterize EFI motor

coteno

Hello,

With a EFI moteur (mercury 60hp 2013), what is the easiest DIY technique to protect the cylinders and rings for the winter season:

1) Inject storage oil through the air filter (will have to find where to spray)
2) Run the motor with a oil\gaz mix for a few minutes (bypass the main tank with a portable gaz tank). Bad for injector??? Yamaha have a special oil for this process.
3) Remove the spark plug and spray wd-40 or storage oil (bottom spark plug hard to reach)

To my question a mechanic told me ''Sometime you owners overkill the process by doing to much''

Thank for advice
Normand (Québec)

Last edited:
EDITING ORIGINAL POST

With a EFI moteur (mercury 60hp 2013), what is the easiest DIY technique to protect the cylinders and rings for the winter season:

OR
2) Run the motor with a oil\gaz mix for a few minutes (bypass the main tank with a portable gaz tank). Bad for injector??? Yamaha have a special oil for this process.
OR
3) Remove the spark plug and spray wd-40 or storage oil (bottom spark plug hard to reach)

To my question a mechanic told me ''Sometime you owners overkill the process by doing to much''. JUST RUN it WITH GAZ STABILIZER AND STOP MESSING WITH"

18\02\2021 Snowmobile season is in full process, trail open 100%. Farmers complain about riding out of official trail, damaging future crop.

Thank for advice
Normand (Québec)

Hello,

To my question a mechanic told me ''Sometime you owners overkill the process by doing to much''

Thank for advice
Normand (Québec)
1: This is 'fogging', more for carbureted engines. You will not be able to do this process correctly on an EFI engine
2: I change all filters, paper fuel filters, water sep. and oil first. I recommend a mix of stabilizer (Star-tron or similar) and oil/gas mix 50:1 or 32:1, You are running for storage, not long term so a 2-3 minute run of this mix on EFI will not kill anything. Also pre-fill the water separator with this mix - I have done this on hundreds of boats and they all run fine in the spring.
3: I like this method as well. This is the last step, after engine has been ran on the 'winter mix fuel', pull all the plugs. Give a blast of Engine-stor or other winterizing fluid. I like to tilt up when doing this, makes less of a mess if there's overflow in cylinder that is closer to top. Not excessive, 3-4 second blast. I put all the plugs back in and crank the engine over with the killswitch on or lanyard pulled so it does not start.
The plugs are usually easy to get out with a wobble socket or a universal joint extension, sometimes a combo of step down or up extensions from 3/8 to 1/4" or vise versa will give you the right length and angle. It will be difficult to get fogging oil into the bottom plug, try using a small piece of tubing to spray into, might take a while to drip down. I then coat the entire engine with 6-56 lubricant, or WD-40 would work. Getting on all the components and gasket seams etc. I do not spray the timing belt or pulleys. Put the hood back on, tape over the prop and you're good to go.

edit: add straight stabilizer to your onboard tank or portable whatever you have.

Last edited:
Back