Logo

Raw water pick up ID size

I'm currently swapping in a Crusader 270, replacing a Ford 302. My thru-hull raw water intake, and hoses, on the Ford are 1".
I'm seeing that the Crusader runs 1-1/4" plumbing. My question is... is it necessary to get a new 1-1/4" thru-hull/intake or is it adequate to just start from the strainer out, with 1-1/4" hose. I feel like the engine would be gasping for more water, no?

If that's the size of the fitting on the sea water pump I would want the through-hull to be the same. I would want the largest volume of water that you can allow without under-lubricating or overworking the pump.

you DON'T want the restriction associated with a smaller thru hull fitting. I'd get the bigger fitting, with a scoop, and a matching seacock, hose, and strainer.

you can search "Crusader L510023-07" and it should get you the 2007 installation manual...you can you it as a reference...The only place where the requirements would be not applicable would be the fuel line size....you don't have MPI so the existing fuel supply will likely be adequate. They pressure drop measurement can verify that fact once you get on the water...

Back