Logo

UK Spares

ric243

Good Morning,

I am looking at rebuilding a 6-71 in the UK. Anyone know of a good place to source spares without importing?

Cheers,

Richard

Thanks,

I've also come across a company in Es*** that specializes in Detroits, Bartech Marine.

Don't know if anyone has any experience with them?

Cheers

And following on, just putting together some tools. I've managed to source a tune up kit for a good price but wondering about other special tools and which ones are really needed - one could otherwise spend an absolute fortune!

For example, a couple of posts on other forums stated that the piston ring loader was essential. To be honest I was just going to buy a £16, 6'' universal compressor. Is the loader really that essential?

Any other absolute must haves anyone would say?

Thanks

Just my 2cents worth but I have never used anything other than the Kent-Moore "funnel tunnel" for compressing rings on Detroits. And, I don't think that I would want to use anything else.

BUT...THEN AGAIN....

I worked in a big diesel shop that supplied the expensive special tools that were needed.

AND, I know of many mechanics....especially off road construction mechanics...that have probably "fudged" getting by without all the goodies and still kept the beasts running.

I remember marveling at a coworker dropping the pan on a 6-71 in the desert with the wind blowing about 25 mph and dirt swirling in the air and rolling in a new set of main bearings!!

That machine was still moving earth at 30 yards a load the last time I saw it so, I would say anything is possible if you have the shop manual, a precision straight edge, good measuring tools and an above average imagination.

But I'm also happy to say that I'm long time retired and don't have to prove it! ;>)

Good luck Ric243.

Jimmy D.

Back